Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Interm. Hard Starting

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2006, 12:04 AM

Originally Posted by cj krause
never had a problem cept for after i disconnected or changed out the battery. the first start after was long both times i took off the cable off the positive post

you might check the positive post on the battery in the back and see if it is coming loose
if it did that would recreate what happened to me.
Thanks CJ. I'll look at that tomorrow
Old 06-29-2006, 10:17 AM

Mine did it again yesterday, that about 5 times in 3 days. I wnat to get it in to the dealership, but if they can't duplicate the problem, they can't fix it. I'm trying to get more info before I take it in, for this problem and a noise AC compressor.
Old 06-30-2006, 03:06 PM

Interm. Hard starting

Seems to happen after I've driven short distance and car sits for an hour or two. 1st start cranks and cranks but always eventually starts. After 1st start -starts immed. I have a service appointment after the holiday next week. I'll post any findings assuming my dealership will find findings. Seems to be more prevalent this week and might be tied to our recent rainy,humid,warm temps.
Old 06-30-2006, 03:46 PM

I agree with Cruz, my 2.2 does seem to experience the long cranking during the most humid times, and it is rare, even in the humidity of Illinois.
Old 07-01-2006, 01:48 PM

Interm. Hard Start

New development on earlier posting. Same hard starting now occurs during remote start. Vehicle driven under 10 miles,parked for a few hours,tried to restart using remote. Pressed the remote button on key fob for about 5-6
seconds. Cranked and cranked then finaaly started. 3500 miles on vehicle-
taking in Weds. next week to dealership Has occured everyday for a little over a week.
Old 07-08-2006, 01:55 PM

Hard Starting Fixed So Far

Took HHR in Weds. Of coarse weather was cooler. Car started normally.GM service did find faulty fuel pump. Replaced fuel pump and HHR starts perfectly every time. Temps reached 90's here in Michigan and it seems that problem has been corrected. For those experiencing the same problem, have your dealerships check the fuel pump.
Old 07-11-2006, 09:41 AM

I noticed that if I let the fuel pump run the full time then when it stops I start the car it will start just fine. Still taking it to the shop.
Old 07-11-2006, 04:30 PM

Interm. Hard Start

In my case fuel pump wasn't holding prime. Since new pump installed everything A O K. So far.
Old 07-13-2006, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by CruzHHR
Seems to happen after I've driven short distance and car sits for an hour or two. 1st start cranks and cranks but always eventually starts. After 1st start -starts immed. I have a service appointment after the holiday next week. I'll post any findings assuming my dealership will find findings. Seems to be more prevalent this week and might be tied to our recent rainy,humid,warm temps.
exact same problem here. Dealer cant figure it out. The ECM has been updated fully. I will have it back to them to fix water leak soon. I gonna see if they can figure out the hard start somehow
Old 07-13-2006, 10:31 AM

Cruz, thanks for the info, I called my service manager and they are bringing my HHR in tomorrow to check the fuel pump and ECM...

Quick Reply: Interm. Hard Starting