Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Intermittent Remote Start Issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2017, 03:30 PM

Intermittent Remote Start Issue

Hi everyone,

I recently have had an issue with the remote start function working intermittently. It seems as if the car sits overnight or slightly longer, the remote start wont work. If I start the car and shut it off, the remote start will work again. This is the case for both remotes and one is a new remote and battery. I recently reprogrammed both FOBS with a DORMAN reprogrammer as the system wasn't working at all. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Mark
Old 01-04-2017, 03:34 PM

Are there any CEL codes?
Old 01-04-2017, 03:36 PM

No CEL codes.

Cheers.
Old 01-04-2017, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by 06HHR=POS
No CEL codes.

Cheers.
I can assure you it is your battery. As in car battery. Replace it!!!!! I had a similar issue where the car would start with remote start but die soon after as in seconds after and it turned out that the battery had flunky voltage. Haven't had problem like that since! And when I replaced it I pulled out the original 10 year old battery
Old 01-04-2017, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by aradmahogany
I can assure you it is your battery. As in car battery. Replace it!!!!! I had a similar issue where the car would start with remote start but die soon after as in seconds after and it turned out that the battery had flunky voltage. Haven't had problem like that since! And when I replaced it I pulled out the original 10 year old battery

Thanks! That is something I had considered but haven't had any other issues such as hard cranking, etc. Will look in to a new battery.

Mark
Old 01-05-2017, 09:25 AM
Administrator

Mark, welcome to the site, have your battery tested and your charging system at your local parts palace, they will usually do it free of charge!
If you replace the battery get the correct size and ensure the vent tube is replaced!
Old 01-05-2017, 10:03 AM
Platinum Member

If you have a multi/volt meter handy it's fairly easy to do a reasonable check yourself:

- before starting the vehicle and having it sat for an hour or so to let the voltage stabilize, measure voltage at the battery itself - it should read 12.4v or better
- turn on the head lights to create a current draw and measure the voltage again with the engine still off - if it is dropping down into the 10v or 9v range it definitely is low on charge
- start the engine and measure the voltage again - if the charging system is working ok, you should get a reading of ~14.4v
..... if you can measure the voltage with the aid of a helper WHILE the vehicle is started, that will also help diagnose a bad battery as the starter puts a darn good load on the system.

My neighbours battery just failed on them the other day - I did the above procedure and it pointed definitely to the battery, when the voltage dropped down to ~7-8v when the starter was run.

They grabbed a new battery and are back on the road.
Old 01-06-2017, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by Oldblue
Mark, welcome to the site, have your battery tested and your charging system at your local parts palace, they will usually do it free of charge!
If you replace the battery get the correct size and ensure the vent tube is replaced!

Thanks!

Originally Posted by whopper
If you have a multi/volt meter handy it's fairly easy to do a reasonable check yourself:

- before starting the vehicle and having it sat for an hour or so to let the voltage stabilize, measure voltage at the battery itself - it should read 12.4v or better
- turn on the head lights to create a current draw and measure the voltage again with the engine still off - if it is dropping down into the 10v or 9v range it definitely is low on charge
- start the engine and measure the voltage again - if the charging system is working ok, you should get a reading of ~14.4v
..... if you can measure the voltage with the aid of a helper WHILE the vehicle is started, that will also help diagnose a bad battery as the starter puts a darn good load on the system.

My neighbours battery just failed on them the other day - I did the above procedure and it pointed definitely to the battery, when the voltage dropped down to ~7-8v when the starter was run.

They grabbed a new battery and are back on the road.

Thanks. I have the necessary tools so I will check that tonight.

Mark
Old 01-30-2017, 04:20 PM

I haven't had the battery checked yet, but bear with me. Yesterday I went out to the car after it hadn't been started in about 2 days. I used the remote to try and start the car and just got the flash of the taillights. I then unlocked the car using the remote and started the car. Once it started I immediately turned the car off and attempted to start the car remotely. The car started remotely right away. I'm beginning to think the issue isn't the battery but something else. Has anyone else ran in to this specific issue?

Thanks.
Old 01-30-2017, 04:25 PM
Administrator

The hood switch but it's the car battery!

Quick Reply: Intermittent Remote Start Issue