Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Intermittent starting issues.

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2017, 11:59 AM

Intermittent starting issues.

The last week I've been randomly getting a slow crank but always starts. The other day it wouldn't turn over. After shutting the lights off and everything I could it turned over but damn slow. Went to leave work yesterday and it did nothing (everything came on and have no battery light) messed with the shifter and it started. Drove home and it wouldn't start again this time nothing helped. A couple minutes ago tried to start and it was normal (It's been raining for hours)no slow crank or anything. Was thinking starter is going out but it's so hit and miss. What's everyone think?
And before I get another ****ty reply about using the search tool I already have. The whole point of forums is conversation and helping each other.
Old 11-15-2017, 01:13 PM

I haven't had a starter problem yet on my 2006 but it depends on how often the starter is used. I would start by checking the connections at the battery, starter and the fusebox under the hood. Stop at an auto parts store to have the battery tested. Have you tried a jumper box?
Old 11-15-2017, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by db2006
I haven't had a starter problem yet on my 2006 but it depends on how often the starter is used. I would start by checking the connections at the battery, starter and the fusebox under the hood. Stop at an auto parts store to have the battery tested. Have you tried a jumper box?
haven't tried jumping it yet no. The only time it hasn't started was after work at 1am last night but started fine 12 hours later without doing anything to it. There's no click when it won't start period. Thinking it's the shifter cable problem but I tried going from 1st to park and still nothing.
Old 11-15-2017, 02:26 PM
Administrator

I’d recommend load testing the battery, it’s starting the dance of death, or as we Canadian’s say , it’s headed south!
Also check all ground wires for corrosion and tight
The fuse panel halves can work loose, if you can move the upper and lower halves, disconnect the battery, before tightening it up.
Are there and CEL codes?
Old 11-15-2017, 03:32 PM
Platinum Member

I don't see where you got "another ****ty reply about using the search tool I already have".

But get that battery "load tested" for sure. and check the other items already suggested. That no click when it won't start might be pointing to the starter. Have you checked the connections themselves at the starter?
Old 11-15-2017, 03:37 PM
Platinum Member

oooo just had a thought that might save a mess of time - most auto part stores will test that starter out for you, and it is like a 15 minute job to pull one. You might want to pull it and have the starter itself tested.

Last edited by whopper; 11-16-2017 at 09:50 AM. Reason: corrected typo (SAVE a mess of time)
Old 11-15-2017, 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by whopper
I don't see where you got "another ****ty reply about using the search tool I already have".

But get that battery "load tested" for sure. and check the other items already suggested. That no click when it won't start might be pointing to the starter. Have you checked the connections themselves at the starter?
after reading through many threads on here I've seen plenty of what seems snarky comments about the search tool and to use that first.
Old 11-15-2017, 09:55 PM

connections are tight as well as the fuses. Thinking it's the starter as well but anybody can be fooled. The temperature wasn't much different between the no start and the normal crank of today. I was certain it was the starter until I read something about cam solenoids being someone's issue as my car bucks at stop lights as well.
Old 11-15-2017, 10:17 PM
Platinum Member

If there are no codes available from the OBD system, replacing the solenoids on spec, might be throwing away some good money. The solenoids would have nothing to do with the starter not working, nor working slow.

An auto parts store can check the current draw and operation of the starter quite nicely. If there is an oil leak from the sensor in the block directly above the starter, it can foul the starter and cause nasty problems with the starter.
Old 11-15-2017, 10:26 PM

oooo just had a thought that might same a mess of time - most auto part stores will test that starter out for you, and it is like a 15 minute job to pull one. You might want to pull it and have the starter itself tested.
And don't forget to remove the negative battery cable in the rear of the car before attempting to remove the starter.

Please understand that the "snarky" comments are often born from the frustration of actually answering the same question, maybe 100's of times. And many, many of those answers got zero response from the OP. You've probably seen some of these threads in your search. No "thanks", no "hey (insert user name) you were right, it was the(insert part name)".

Which, in turn, makes your search efforts more difficult. So, thanks for trying to search. FYI, the more recent threads will give more accurate information. Simply put, we know more about the HHR now, than we did when it was new.

Quick Reply: Intermittent starting issues.