Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Issues with remote start

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2014, 08:11 AM

Issues with remote start

I picked up a used HHR LT the other day. It has the autostart (listed on window sticker, has button on remote, and RPO code) feature. However, when I push the button, The horn honks, and the hazard lights flash. If you keep holding it down, it goes into full anti-theft horn blowing mode. On thing that I must mention, both FOBs that came with the car had detached battery clips. I took them apart and was able to salvage one (one of the prongs broke off the other) and it seems to function correctly with the exception of the autostart. I went into the DIC and it says that the autostart function is "on." I've searched but thus far I have only found threads dealing with activating the feature, and re-programming FOBs. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
Old 02-03-2014, 08:37 AM

A) did you follow the directions on the back of the fob? push lock then push start, you must push lock just before the start even if the car is already locked.

B) check all of your exterior lights, brake tail etc.

C) make sure the hood is closed and latched
Old 02-03-2014, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by donbrew
A) did you follow the directions on the back of the fob? push lock then push start, you must push lock just before the start even if the car is already locked.

B) check all of your exterior lights, brake tail etc.

C) make sure the hood is closed and latched
Thanks for the response. Yes, I have followed all directions. All my vehicles are GM so I am familiar with basic operation.
Old 02-03-2014, 10:03 AM
Platinum Member

Certain faults will render the remote start inoperative :some CEL's, hood closed sensor, etc.

You could try the old battery disconnect (negative cable please, for safety!)
to try and reboot and clear any stored codes.
Old 02-03-2014, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by firemangeorge
Certain faults will render the remote start inoperative :some CEL's, hood closed sensor, etc.

You could try the old battery disconnect (negative cable please, for safety!)
to try and reboot and clear any stored codes.
Will do. I'll go by the Auto parts store and see if any codes are in there.

Thanks
Old 02-03-2014, 05:07 PM

Some models (2008 IIRC) seem to have had a problem with the RCDLR forgetting everything it had ever learned after a jumpstart, and needs to be re programed with a TechII Scanner.
Old 02-03-2014, 09:59 PM

Well, today on the way home, the check engine light came on. I was going to the auto parts store to use the scanner anyway so no biggie. Popped a p1174. Its off now (by itself) but i guess I'll be be replacing injectors. From what I gather, it will beed the ECM reprogrammed at that time so maybe it will fix it all.
Old 02-03-2014, 10:24 PM
Platinum Member

P1174 indicates a lean fuel condition detected.
Not sure why you would think it needs the injectors replaced. I would suggest a little diagnostic workup for that code before you go throwing on a set of new injectors.
Remember codes are just to point you in a general direction. Some code numbers can be precise. Others can lead you on a very broad search. But, you still need to do some diagnostic work to find the answers.
Old 02-03-2014, 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by firemangeorge
P1174 indicates a lean fuel condition detected.
Not sure why you would think it needs the injectors replaced. I would suggest a little diagnostic workup for that code before you go throwing on a set of new injectors.
Remember codes are just to point you in a general direction. Some code numbers can be precise. Others can lead you on a very broad search. But, you still need to do some diagnostic work to find the answers.
p1174 - Fuel Trim Cylinder Balance - Everything I have read, including the bulletin says replace injectors, re-program ECM. The section on this site says you cannot service these injectors. I don't really know what else to try and diagnose. Any suggestions?
Old 02-04-2014, 01:01 AM
Deceased

Since I believe you're referencing the TSB's sited in this thread, you aren't off track in believing that replacing the injectors is the next step.

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/problems-service-repairs-42/p1174-fuel-trim-cylinder-balance-43947/

You could try having them cleaned by your dealership or mechanic, but it may very well be a waste of money.

Quick Reply: Issues with remote start