Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

joeymollo

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2014, 12:14 PM

Smile joeymollo

I gave up on airbag connector till I get it unplugged. Bigger problem is battery discharge, and car not starting. First time it happened, I left the rear lid open and apparently the interior lites don't go off automatically. After about 20 jump starts, and losing confidence in going anywhere, today I disconnected the negative terminal and charged the bat overnight. Checked bat with terminal off..12volts. Started car. Disconnected neg terminal engine stayed running. Indicating alternator ok. Turned engine off, tail lites stayed on..interesting..turned directional signal clockwise all the way, which usually turns lites off. Didn't work..pushed brake pedal, they went off. Getting more interesting..started car again, and opened rear lid. Closed it. Watched interior lites. They stayed on way too long. I dread the thought of taking this to the dealer. The one that wears the mask :).. I bought the car there new in 2009. They got me once.76$ to replace headlamp!!! One week later other side went. Called dealer. They said when one goes the other usually goes also. I said why not change both then.. He blew me off.. Autozone guy did it for free.i tipped him. Anyway that's the bandit story..I mean dealer story. Hope some one out there might be able to help.
I think if I had a wiring schematic, I would love to disconnect the 3, count them...3, interior dome lights, and put them on a separate switch that I could control!! I'm going to look on line. Help.. If u know where..
Old 04-28-2014, 12:40 PM
Platinum Member

First, I would delete this post and continue on the post you started regarding your battery problem. All the rest of this post is superfluous to the battery problem.

Second....a 12 volt reading is to low for a recently, and completely, charged battery. Should be more than 12.5 minimum. So, what kind of charger did you use.....a trickle??

Third......as others have stated. It's your battery. Why are you fooling around. Get a competent check, as others have suggested, and determine the battery's worthiness based on a load test.
Old 04-28-2014, 12:41 PM
Platinum Member

Disconnecting the battery with the engine running is NOT a good idea - it can cause damage with spikes etc. throughout the vehicle, and is NOT a test for the alternator.

12V measured at the battery after charging overnight is not sufficient.

the title "joeymollo" of your posting will do nothing to attract people to look at it to see if they can offer advice. You might want to change it to something like "electrical problems".

Get that battery checked before going anywhere - and I really don't think you should be messing with the wiring until you get the existing issues resolved.
Old 04-28-2014, 12:44 PM
Platinum Member

thanks Snoopy - I didn't put 2 and 2 together to realize this was the same member/problem - that was 5 minutes of my life I will never get back.

Replace the dang battery!!!! End of story!!

This thread is closed.