Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Joeymollo-? On Battery

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2014, 09:18 PM

Angry Joeymollo-? On Battery

My 2009 HHR battery is losing cranking voltage, and doesn't start whenever....
Very temperamental! Don't know when, where or why! Have to keep jumper cables with me at all times! Anybody have this same problem? I'm waiting for new ignition switch from dealer.

Last edited by 843de; 04-24-2014 at 10:30 PM. Reason: More descriptive title..
Old 04-24-2014, 09:41 PM

'bout time for a replacement. 5 years is about all you get out of batteries these days. just replaced mine in an '08. As soon as it didn't crank fast anymore, went and bought a new one, didn't want my wife stuck anywhere.
Old 04-24-2014, 10:12 PM
Deceased

to the forum!

Have your battery load tested at an auto parts store, but in a word, it's "toast".

Trying to limp along until your dealer gets the recall parts in is a false economy, HHR's aren't fond of being jump started as it is.
Old 04-24-2014, 10:28 PM

Welcome to the site

I agree get the battery tested and also check the cable connections at the under hood fuse box. Make sure there tight and clean
Old 04-25-2014, 05:45 PM

I had the same problem! I got a new battery, that miraculously solved the problem. I always thought that automotive batteries lasted forever, I never understood why the battery display was so large at Wal-Mart.
Old 04-25-2014, 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by joeymollo
My 2009 HHR battery is losing cranking voltage, and doesn't start whenever....
Very temperamental! Don't know when, where or why! Have to keep jumper cables with me at all times! Anybody have this same problem? I'm waiting for new ignition switch from dealer.
Hello joeymollo,

This sounds very frustrating! If you would like us to reach out to your dealership regarding your battery issues, we would be happy to do so. Send a PM our way with your VIN, current mileage, contact info and the dealership you would like us to reach out to. Looking forward to hearing from you soon.

Patsy G
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old 04-26-2014, 12:11 AM
Deceased

Originally Posted by donbrew
I always thought that automotive batteries lasted forever, I never understood why the battery display was so large at Wal-Mart.
Old 04-26-2014, 10:12 AM

Hmmm, didn't know that there are battery issues with our cars. What are they?

Because all kinds of lights turn on whenever you open the door, close the door, start it, stop it, I figure a battery isn't going to last as long as they used to. Conspiracy by the battery makers?
Old 04-26-2014, 12:59 PM
Deceased

No battery issues, just a case of the OEM Delco batteries going about five years before they become suspect.

In harsh climates like the Snow Belt, and the Southern U.S., wild temperature fluctuations between the seasons are battery killers. Extreme cold and extreme heat are a battery's enemies.

And you're right, they don't make 'em like they used too, plus you have to factor in the constant parasitic drain present in any vehicle made these days. You might think your HHR is snoozing away in the garage or driveway doing nothing, but even parked, there are at least a half dozen modules that are always using a few milliamps here and there.

The main cause of complaints is the cost of a proper battery for the HHR, they aren't dirt common, and being externally vented...a bit pricier than some folks expect.
Old 04-26-2014, 01:20 PM

In the days of yore a fellow who was a bit older than me moved into the small northwest Wisconsin town I grew up in. He had lived in the middle of Texas all his life and had no clue how cold it could really get in the great white north.

He had a pretty new {about 5 year old} Chevy pickup truck for his main ride he also had a pretty sharp looking Triumph motorcycle for the nice weather.

When winter finally set in for real where the daytime temps might not get above zero he was a little shocked when his truck would not start. I had several vehicles of my own and had them in condition where they would indeed start in the cold but I had taken the precautions of installing tank heaters in all my buggies and had the winter weight oil in them.

This dude had straight 30 wt oil in his pickup and the original battery. I would jump start his pickup most mornings so he could go to work, someone where he worked would usually have to jump start him so he could get home at night. Eventually he asked how it was that I could start my old vehicles when his nearly new, by comparison, pickup wouldn't {I had a '65 Ford Fairlane a '59 Ford Fairlane and a '47 Willis jeep}. I explained that I kept mine plugged in and when it was really cold I might put the battery charger on over night too.

He went off and bought a new{at the time} “Forever battery” that JC Penny was selling those days. With the new battery in his truck it started pretty well for the next few days. The next week we had several days where the daytime temp was 10 below zero the night time temps were around 20 below {sometimes colder} and his truck would not start again.

He was truly shocked that his brand new 'forever' battery had failed him.

That weekend I helped him change the oil in his truck to 10W30 and installed a tank heater. He bought a battery charger to help out on the really cold nights. That was the end of me having to give him a jump in the mornings.

Of course this story has nothing to do with your battery problem, but that has never stopped me before.

Quick Reply: Joeymollo-? On Battery