Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

jump starting late model vehicles (2007 and up)

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2018, 12:31 AM

jump starting late model vehicles (2007 and up)

Everyone knows by now there is some risk in jump starting modern vehicles.As A matter of fact,
most Techs don't recommend it at all.
I would like to share my experience in the matter.
I have A 2007 HHR LS panel that I've used for Roadside Service for about 8 years now.In that
time I've done Hundreds of Jump Starts.I've always taken precautionary measures to avoid damage
to my vehicle and the Customers vehicle.My main concern being the PCM.Well,guess what....I had
one replaced 3 years ago and now it looks like this computer's toast as well.
Here's how it happens:
When the portable jump box aint enough to start the car I hook up the Cables.Tell customer
to start the car.If no go then I start mine and rev at 1500 to 2000 for A few minutes to revive
the dead Battery.Then I SHUT MY CAR OFF.Tell 'em to try it again.In most cases the car will
start and It's time to go home! (ha ha) If no go I start my car up again...CROSS MY FINGERS...
and tell 'em to try it.If then their car starts,well,I just rolled the Dice.It may not be this
one that kills it,but I've found the Third or forth will make the dreadfull check engine light
appear.Very depressing.
Symptoms,at least with my car is the ECU gives A false MPG reading!That's it!Car runs fine.
And I'd put money on it passing smog.But the check engine light is on,so...
Which brings up another gripe.If the car passes smog so what about a stupid check engine
freakin' light!(ha ha) Take care,,Thanks for reading
Old 10-02-2018, 01:10 AM
Platinum Member

"As A matter of fact,"most Techs don't recommend it at all"? Well that is a new one.
Old 10-02-2018, 06:52 AM

Ive helped a couple people with my HHR and havent had any issues, you probably hooked things up wrong or had a loose connection on one of the cable. In fact, I have help three people, all different years and models. All jumping from the posts under the hood using tried and true jumper cables. Red then Black on donor car, then red then black on receiving car.....Start donor car, run for a minute or two, rev engine a couple times for fun, start receiving car, if successful unhook black cable from then red from receiving car, then black and then red from donor car. All the while playing operation not letting the two clamps touch EVER.
Old 10-02-2018, 06:54 AM

And yes, I bet most Techs dont recommend it because most people have no clue how to jump a car safely anymore.
Old 10-02-2018, 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by aradmahogany
And yes, I bet most Techs don't recommend it because most people have no clue how to jump a car safely anymore.
Do you mean red is positive and black is negative?
Old 10-02-2018, 07:16 AM
Platinum Member

aradmahogany. Your hook up/unhook procedure is wrong. Your way can result in "arcing" if the unhooked ends get touched together.

(maybe you just wrote it incorrectly)
Old 10-02-2018, 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by firemangeorge
aradmahogany. Your hook up/unhook procedure is wrong. Your way can result in "arcing" if the unhooked ends get touched together.

(maybe you just wrote it incorrectly)
OOPIES you are right
even if its still wrong, I do positive on donor THEN positive on receiving car, THEN negative on donor THEN negative on receiving. DOH
Old 10-02-2018, 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by davethewave
If the car passes smog so what about a stupid check engine
freakin' light!(ha ha)
In WI having the check engine light is an automatic failure.
Old 10-02-2018, 11:16 AM
Platinum Member

Easy jump start procedure sequence order:
(1) Connecting cables=== Positive, positive, negative, negative.
(2) Disconnecting cables= Negative, negative, positive, positive.
Old 10-02-2018, 12:13 PM

It wasn't the sequence that killed it.It was the starting while mine running! That was the last jump start i did.Now the CE light is on.Are you saying it's OK to run the vehicle?

Quick Reply: jump starting late model vehicles (2007 and up)