Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Key Fob Not Working

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2009, 10:43 PM

Key Fob Not Working

Hi, My key Fob stopped working. First it started off as intermittent then constant. I did check the soldering on the fob and there were broken cold solder joints. I resoldered them and the fob still deosn't work. It is the only one I have so I cannot check with the second one ( guess that happens when you buy pre-owned...LOL ). I did go to AutoZone and checked it against the checker they have with the batteries for what use it does and it said it worked. Any suggestions?

Joe Cz....
Old 08-17-2009, 10:53 PM

Hmmm first welcome to the site. I just had both mine replaced under warranty 4 days ago.
Old 08-18-2009, 09:58 AM

Ummm you might just have to buy a second one.

When I bought my panel used. They gave me a key fob that didn't really work so I just put paper to hold the battery down. It worked for a few months. Then that stopped. So I solderd and well that didn't work either. But the good thing is when I got my hhr they gave me a new key fob for free. The bad part is that they wanted me to pay 80 bucks to have it programmed. I said F that. I just use my key. I'm thinking about getting the new one programmed since I'm going to an area I don't really know. So it would be nice to have the alarm
Old 08-19-2009, 10:34 AM

Thanks for the input. I guess I'll have to break down and buy a new one.

Joe Cz....
Old 08-19-2009, 07:47 PM

Trouble with the fobs is that the batteries get a corrosive film and they need to be cleaned. Take the fob apart and examine the solder joints. If they are broken, you can carefully resolder them. Do not use excessive heat or solder.I solder at work, so I have mad soldering skillz. LOL. If battery is less than a year old, take a pencil eraser and clean both sides. Also carefully clean the clip that the battery sits in. If you didn't melt the little printed circuit board while soldering, you should now have a working fob. If fob is older than a year and you never replaced the battery, do it now.
Old 08-19-2009, 10:37 PM

make sure the side with the button contacts gets solder. Just fixed mine tonight. I solder battery clip it held but still did not work, noticed that the one side was missing and opened up the circuit
Old 08-20-2009, 10:52 AM

Also,turn over the circuit board and check for any dirt or other gunk on that side.I've seen them with all sorts of goo on them-pop,coffee,sand,makeup.You may also see a burned circuit too.
Old 08-23-2009, 03:25 PM

If you do not have a working fob, on a 2008 or newer, you have to go to a dealer and pay to have the TPMS positions re-learned. At least I have not found a tire store that has a clue even after I got my fob working.
Old 10-31-2010, 10:32 PM

i LOVE this site!!
my fob just took a crap, and when opening both my main one and cpare, they both had a broken contact. i don't have soldering skilz or the cash to get a replacement one right now.
however, i knew i'd find input on here...
Old 11-01-2010, 07:41 AM

Remote key fob not working; hate using keys

Hey all the previous posts should be tried. If that doesn't work, you will either have to go to the dealer and have the car computer reprogrammed.OR go to your quality independent mechanic and if he has the right diognostic code reader/programmer (few have one) he can re-set the computer in about 10 minutes. While U wait. Much cheaper and quicker than a GM dealer.
Some of the better dealers will do it quick and cheap if you are a regular customer and you bought it there, IN warranty? just take it to a good dealer.

My 06 HHR LS was reprogrammed at my independent shop for $39.95 in about 10 minutes. (B&S Automotive in Universal City, Texas.)

Quick Reply: Key Fob Not Working