Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Key Fob Problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2011, 11:53 AM

Key Fob Problem

Hello, can anyone help me with this problem with my 2006 HHR that has 31K miles on it? Both of my key fobs have just starting not working right. They still lock the car OK, but they won't unlock it. I tried replacing batteries in both fobs, but that didn't work of course. Any idea what could be wrong? Maybe a programming problem? Thanks.
Old 07-18-2011, 12:18 PM

Maybe a contact problem, the contacts wear out..... There's a thread around here somewhere on repairing this. (It may even be a sticky) There are also repair kits and services that several guys have mentioned recently. Do a search of the forum (use the search function) as there are quite a few threads about this type of issue.

(I'm not being mean by saying "Use the search function"...... There is a lot of good info here.)
Old 07-18-2011, 12:22 PM

Mine were doing the same, you need to open your remote and check the battery holder and make sure the battery holder is still soldered in three areas, if they are then you need to go to keylessfix.com and order a keyless buttton pad. Mine needed to be soldered but that didnt fix so i orderded the keyless button pad and it works like new, it only cost 9.99, a new key fob 150.00.
Old 07-18-2011, 04:41 PM

Hi, thanks for the tip. I can' seem to get the search function to work correctly. No items come up when I search "key fob". Can you give me any hints how to find it? Thanks again.
Old 07-18-2011, 04:50 PM

Okay.... both key and fob are 3 letter words, search doesn't allow 3 letter words.

Mucking around with the search term "keyfob" got me to a whole bunch but check this one....

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/how-tutorial-library-21/repair-key-fob-remotes-worn-out-contacts-30813/

Also follow the link muddirt mentioned above..... That kit may be just what the Dr. ordered.
Old 07-18-2011, 06:56 PM

I wound up putting a piece of folded paper on top of the battery to put more pressure on the contacts. Im not very good at that re soldering thing. that has help alot
Old 07-18-2011, 07:40 PM

woohoo! Thanks for this thread. I was having trouble with a non-HHR key fob and I just bent the contacts a little bit so they made better contact and it is working great now. (was having trouble unlocking but not locking)
Old 07-18-2011, 08:06 PM

I have used the keylessfix In a few hhr key fobs they work very well.
Old 08-14-2011, 02:16 PM

Repair Fob

Treasurepast I had both of my Fobs fix by this company on ebay, they are called Midwestkeyless you can contact them at 1-866-604-9202.
Email: midwestkeyless@yahoo.com. it cost me $18.00 a peice to fix thme and about a 1.20 postage, they both work great, hope this will help you, I also have an 2006 HHr Lt1.
Old 09-13-2013, 07:13 PM

Cool Fix your keyfob

All key fobs and even your TV remote controls have one thing in common. The part of your remote that you push is rubber. On the back side of that rubber is a thin metallic coating. When you push down on the rubber, that metallic coating on the other side contacts a circuit and completes it, letting your remote do what you want it to. The thin metallic coating on the reverse side eventually wears away and thus not completing the circuit when you press it. The car folks are making this metallic coating thinner and thinner so that they will wear away faster...And get to charge you big bucks for a replacement.
But you can easily fix your remote. Get a butter knife and pry your remote apart. It comes apart in a few layers just like a sandwich. Pull the big floppy rubber part out of the remote. Turn it over. Identify the back side of the button that is no longer working. Get an empty pop can. Punch a hole in it with a pair of scissors then cut a piece out of the aluminum. (it actually cuts very easily) hold this piece if aluminum (clean it beforehand) to the area on your remote that is not working. The back side of the remote will have a small black circle for each function of the remote. Again, this is on the back side of the rubber piece that you took out of the remote. Cut a small piece of the aluminum (from the pop can) a little bigger than the area you are trying to fix/cover. With instant glue, put a small drop of clue on the black circle, on the back side of the remote rubber, under the function that you are fixing. Now place the small piece of aluminum that you have cut into the glue spot over the black circle. You want to have the shiny, unpainted surface of the aluminum facing up at you. Give it a good 1/2 hour to cure, overnight is even better. Reassemble the remote (this really is not difficult at all) Snap the covers back together and try your remote. Most of the times it works great and for a long time. If it does not work, take your remote apart and make sure the small piece of aluminum you cut and glued, are where it is supposed to be and that it is flat. Also check to see if some of the glue got on top of your little patch. This would ruin the circuit making effect of your patch and why you only want to use a small spot of glue. If your patch moved or has glue on it, work around with a knife, removing your aluminum patch and trying again. Good luck to you.....oh yeah, you can use this method for any remote that stops working and you don't have to pay for it to be reprogrammed.

Quick Reply: Key Fob Problem