Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Key Fob Problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2007, 07:06 PM

Key Fob Problems

Help!!! One of my key fobs quit working this morning, so I went by the dealer to talk to them about it when I got off work. Dealer said it was probably just a battery, so I asked how much and they said $20 for the battery. I asked them if it was a special battery and they said no, I could get it just about anywhere that sells batteries. So, I went to Batteries Plus and they sold me one for $2.99 and installed it for me. Remote still doesn't work and needless to say...I'm not very happy.

Questions I have:

Should the remote go out this quick? My car only has 5000 miles on it, which means the fob hasn't been used that much.

Asked the dealer how to re-program it...they said it was in the manual and I didn't see squat.

If the fob is bad, is it covered under warranty or do I need to pay for a new one?

Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated.
Old 02-07-2007, 07:10 PM

You know, I've been having a problem a little similar. The unlock button on the Suburban doesn't work anymore. I don't know whats going on.
Old 02-07-2007, 07:17 PM

The dealer has to reprogram key fobs....unless you have a tech 2 tool....Regards

link to my fob experiences..... https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/general-hhr-4/extra-key-fobs-programming-5318/
Old 02-07-2007, 07:19 PM

I'm guessing that if the battery went dead it my have lost thesignal/program or whatever it needs to work with your car. I know that if you get an additional fob you have to take ALL of them in to be programmed.
Old 02-07-2007, 07:21 PM
Premium Member

I had to replace a lost one and they charged sixty dollars to program it. It takes a special tool to program them. Most of GM's cars now have to be programmed by the dealer. If you cant get them to warranty it I would see if any locksmiths in your city can do it. The larger shops may have the tool.

Here is a link for programming them for the ones you can do yourself. Good luck with the warranty. John

http://www.programyourremote.com/
Old 02-07-2007, 07:36 PM

Thanks for the info. I called another dealer here in town and he said if I didn't get it fixed by this weekend, to stop by on Saturday and they would get me all set up.

Karen also gave me a page in the manual to check too, so we'll see if that works in the morning. Thanks for all the quick responses...I'll let you know what happens.
Old 02-08-2007, 05:57 AM

Originally Posted by john
I had to replace a lost one and they charged sixty dollars to program it. It takes a special tool to program them. Most of GM's cars now have to be programmed by the dealer. If you cant get them to warranty it I would see if any locksmiths in your city can do it. The larger shops may have the tool.

Here is a link for programming them for the ones you can do yourself. Good luck with the warranty. John

http://www.programyourremote.com/
John I think you`re confusing the Key with the remote control w/buttons.
I went to the site, the HHR isn`t even listed...
Old 02-08-2007, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by courthousedeb
Help!!! One of my key fobs quit working this morning, so I went by the dealer to talk to them about it when I got off work. Dealer said it was probably just a battery, so I asked how much and they said $20 for the battery. I asked them if it was a special battery and they said no, I could get it just about anywhere that sells batteries. So, I went to Batteries Plus and they sold me one for $2.99 and installed it for me. Remote still doesn't work and needless to say...I'm not very happy.

Questions I have:

Should the remote go out this quick? My car only has 5000 miles on it, which means the fob hasn't been used that much.

Asked the dealer how to re-program it...they said it was in the manual and I didn't see squat.

If the fob is bad, is it covered under warranty or do I need to pay for a new one?

Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Deb, my key fob went about two months ago, I use the crap out of it. I had about 30,000 miles at the time when it went. When I called the dealer, the service manager said come right in he knew what the problem was. He said they do not hold up that well, the solder connection usually brakes off the board. He did have to reprogram both remotes with the tech 2 tool. He also said this was a common problem with the Chevy Malibu remotes which are similar to the HHR remotes. I had no issues with it being covered under warranty and did not have to pay anything.. Hope this helps..
Old 02-08-2007, 01:33 PM

Thanks folks...will get that handled on Saturday and let you know what happens.
Old 02-08-2007, 06:23 PM

Today at work I took my key fob apart just to make sure that the battery was in right and put it back together. Lo and behold, to my surprise, when I went to my car after work, it is working fine. Guess the battery wasn't in there snug enough or something. Saves me a trip to the dealer now.

Quick Reply: Key Fob Problems