Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Left front speaker doesn't work and chime is very quiet

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2017, 06:23 PM

Left front speaker doesn't work and chime is very quiet

The left front speaker of my car doesn't work. It's been this way for about 5 years. This summer out of the blue it started working while driving down a nice smooth road. The next time I drove it was back to not working.

Another interesting and possibly related thing is the ding-ding chime when you leave the door open is very quiet. So quiet that I have only noticed it when I'm in the garage with the door closed.

My guess is that the left front speaker is working, but very quietly, and that the ding-ding uses that speaker?

It's not a big enough deal for me to tear things apart but since I've been a forum member 8 years and it still says I'm a 'new member' I figured I would ask if anyone else has had this issue and increase my post count at the same time. Mostly just a curiosity.

2009 HHR LS with the regular stereo/cd player.

Last edited by Oldblue; 11-20-2017 at 08:39 AM. Reason: Cause FMG said so! Spelling error.
Old 11-19-2017, 06:38 PM

The chime uses the tweeter. Well, actually it uses both speakers but the tone is in the tweeter range.
Old 11-19-2017, 11:21 PM
Platinum Member

Scouttster: Certain people didn't like it? You are correct in that - NONE of the moderators could recommend your method due to the fragility of the door panel and the possibility of damaging it. Normally a msg like this would be a pm, but since you have openly criticized the previous decisions and actions....

So yeah your thread back then was closed as being not recommended. Since you seem to disagree, and still want to push the issue, your post here has been deleted.

Its probably best at this point not to argue the point further.
Old 11-20-2017, 06:39 AM
Platinum Member

Hey Mods
Could one of you fix the title of this thread ? Says: "Left from speaker doesn't work......."

junker. Yep. Bad speaker or wire connection at the speaker. Many members have had to replace the stock ones. They don't seem to have a very long life.
Old 11-20-2017, 07:16 AM

Thanks, let me ask the following then...

The left channel, front, feeds the door speaker and the pillar speaker? I get no sound from either. This would make me think the issue isn't at any particular speaker unless they are wired in a manner where one bad speaker is bringing to other down with it?

The rear left DOES work.
Old 11-20-2017, 07:54 AM
Platinum Member

You stated above that you can still hear the chime, but very faintly. That tells me that the left tweeter IS still working. The chime sounds come out of the left front speaker channel(speaker + tweeter).
Anyhow. Many, many threads over the years of folks with speaker issues. About 95% of them wind up being bad speakers. The others were either a bad wire connection at the A pillar or the radio itself.
My bets on a bad speaker.

The front speaker and it's tweeter are on the same output channel. Here's a diagram.

Old 11-20-2017, 08:40 AM
Administrator

From the front..... there you are FMG. Fixed.
Old 11-20-2017, 09:38 AM
Banned

Hey whopper, thanks for the heads up on PM, forgot all about PM mail. Every door panel I have ever removed and put back on has been a royal pain in the butt... Ill PM the guy on how I changed out the speaker easily without removing the door panel..
Thanks again Whopper king of all HHR- your wisdom is a resource to all.. Hoping 1 day to be knighted Whopper Jr. ( kidding) lol
Old 11-20-2017, 09:57 AM
Administrator

Well that just got you a week to rethink your disrespect for our moderator and our policies.
Old 11-20-2017, 10:32 AM
Platinum Member

Sigh - the guy just doesn't get it does he.

Quick Reply: Left front speaker doesn't work and chime is very quiet