Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Loss of power while passing

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 06:05 PM

Loss of power while passing

While driving yesterday I passed a car and went through some snow that was in the center of the road. I lost traction and the tires started to spin. The car felt like it lost power and stepping on the accelerator did nothing for about 3 to 5 seconds and then the power came back on. Its a good thing no other cars were coming or I would have been in trouble. It was a very bad feeling losing power while passing. Just wondered if anyone else has had this happen? I have the 2.2 auto LT no traction control.
Old 02-23-2010, 06:23 PM

did you happen to hear anything when it happened? My saturn would lose power if I got the serpentine belt really wet (something like what you did or major puddle). Would come back within a few seconds when it dried off and got traction on the pullies again. Usually accompanied by really loud belt squeal when it happened.
Old 02-23-2010, 06:27 PM

I had this happen once before on a road with packed snow. Same thing just have a power loss for a few seconds then the power comes back. Don't here any belts making noise.
Old 02-23-2010, 06:30 PM

Sounds like it was in massive traction control mode.

You want a sick feeling? Do it in an 04 GTO automatic. It's a mechanical throttle so inline with the throttle cable is a clutch mechanism to control the throttle during traction control. "Control" is really not the right word. "Disconnect" is more accurate.

One time I had to merge from a stop into fast moving traffic. I saw my chance and rolled pretty far into the throttle. Oh no! Traction control engaged!

This causes the gas pedal to go completely limp like it's hooked to nothing and the engine power drops until the spinning stops. It's extremely aggressive. Before I had a chance to release the pedal....... I slowly roll out into the middle of that fast traffic with no throttle control. I let up on the pedal, it recovered and starts to spin the tires again, the pedal goes limp and now I am sure I am going to die. I backed out enough to get some power but as I made the turn, it lost traction again and away goes the pedal.

I finally hit the TC button, rolled into the throttle and started my uncontrolled 4 wheel drift into the gap into the traffic finally recovering and trying to compose myself. Nah folks, that was my plan all along! I was just showing off. I'm I cool or what!!!!!!

Rule #1. If you need to merge from a stop quickly in an 04 GTO, turn off the TC first....
Old 02-24-2010, 06:42 AM

Might be an the case if he had traction control...
I have the 2.2 auto LT no traction control.
Old 02-24-2010, 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by rad white panel
I lost traction and the tires started to spin. The car felt like it lost power and stepping on the accelerator did nothing for about 3 to 5 seconds
Are you sure the tires weren't just spinning and then you got traction again?
Old 02-24-2010, 03:00 PM

The only way I can describe it it feels like it is starving for gas for a couple of seconds. Even if you pump the gas peddle you get nothing and then it seams like some electronic part says ok lets go and then everything is ok and you have throttle response. Like I stated before it has happened to me twice.
Old 02-24-2010, 09:10 PM

Has happened to me on a few occasions and always when the tires were losing traction. To the best of my knowledge my car does not have traction control either. I think it is some kind of inhibiter built into the engine and perhaps based on RPM's.
Old 02-24-2010, 10:35 PM

The HHR does have a rev limiter as do maot GM vehicles for a while If you do over spin the tires it will kick in. It is not TC but it will keep many from blowing an engine. It is more GM warranty protection if anything.

I wonder in this case if a throttle postion sensor has a glitch that did not set a code? I had one go bad in a truck and it never set a code.

Last edited by hyperv6; 02-25-2010 at 05:28 AM.
Old 02-24-2010, 11:19 PM

Originally Posted by Darkangel
Has happened to me on a few occasions and always when the tires were losing traction. To the best of my knowledge my car does not have traction control either. I think it is some kind of inhibiter built into the engine and perhaps based on RPM's.
It's a form of TC. Get off the gas for a second or 2 and let the car return power. It really is a bad feeling when it cuts out.

FWIW.... I have a 2.4 LT Auto