Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Lost all power while driving

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2013, 04:40 PM

Lost all power while driving

This is my first post so be easy on me. I have a 2006 HHR, my wife was driving it this weekend and lost all power while driving and car would not restart. I showed up and car was completley dead couldn't get the key out of the ignition. Had car towed to local chevy dealer when we got it off the truck we jumped it to see if we could at least get the windows rolled up and keys out of it. Car started right up and got keys out and rolled up windows. We figured it was probably the alternator so I left the car at dealership. The dealership called monday and said the car started up so they checked battery it is ok, alternator they checked several times it was ok. They don't know what the problem could be. Guy at dealership said might have been a short in the battery and jostling it around on the truck might have temporarily solved the problem, but his advice to me was to get a new battery. I have been busy and not been able to get by to get a new battery, so the next morning car won't start and it locks the key in the ignition just like a few days earlier and there is no power. I have a battery charger so I am getting ready to hook it up to the jump start post and when i flip the plastic cover over on the positive post i hear my stereo playing. I get in the car and it starts right up. The same day I drive it to my office and when I get ready to leave it won't start, same thing key locked in ignition and no power. I flip the plastic cover on the positive jump start post and I hear a clicking sound and my stereo is playing and starts up fine. I have been in and out of it today and have had no problems. I left the car running and started messing with the positive jump start post to see if I could get it to quit running. I thought the nut on the post might be a little loose and tried to hand tighten and it burnt the crap out of my finger. I am thinking I might be at the source of the problem. Any thoughts?
Old 05-16-2013, 05:23 PM
Deceased

You found the problem all right, sorry about the burns.

Disconnect the negative cable from the battery back in the cargo compartment, then tighten the loose nut under the hood. You have had an intermittent open circut, and with the amps pushing through the loose connection, you'll get a ton of heat.
Old 05-16-2013, 05:34 PM
Platinum Member

I agree with Mike's advice above, but will add this.
After disconnecting the ground at the battery. Take off the big nut at the front connection and clean that connection. With the arcing you were having, there's probably some burnt spots under that nut or on the connector. Make sure you have a good clean connection surface before retightening.
Caution: Be careful.Don't overtighten the nut. I've heard that connection is flimsy and could snap off.
Old 05-16-2013, 08:59 PM

Just to be safe, you do know the correct negative jumper post is the strut tower, right. You didn't mention it, so I wanted to make sure since 99% don't know.
Old 05-16-2013, 09:10 PM
Platinum Member

At this point, I agree with the above suggestions.

Interesting the dealer wants to sell a new battery without even testing to see if it's needed. Oh well, a fast couple hundred dollars. Then of course, you return with the same problem for another couple hundred.
Old 05-20-2013, 08:52 PM

Thanks everyone for the replies. I tightened the nut and have not been having any problems. I forgot I posted my problem until tonight. firemangeorge I will take your advice and make sure and clean everything up.
Old 05-20-2013, 09:03 PM
Deceased

Glad to hear you solved the problem Bartman.