Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Lots of electrical issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2018, 02:45 PM

Okay, back from vacation and did a few things to start to figure out all the issues that I am having. Had 3 fuses blown, and that got a few things back, including the code reader. Have some engine codes, but will look those up to see what information is out there. Two biggest concerns now is the transmission does not shift, seems to just run in second gear, and there is no speedometer. From what I have read on this board that sounds like the speed sensor in the transmission. My problem is I can't figure out where it is located. I did find a diagram on here that shows it near the front of the transmission, but I can't see it there. Clearly I am missing something. It is the 2.4 liter motor.

The other issue is a brake lights do not work. Checked the fuses and bulb. Now the weird part. The lights don't work when I step on the pedal with the ignition off, but when I turn on the ignition, they light up. They are really bright, and the same filament as the turn signal, so I don't think it is the tail lights. When I turn on the turn signal the same bright filament blinks. The tail lights do not work either.

Okay, not finding much on one code: U0101: loss of communication with the TCM. Looks like it is related to the transmission, but I don't know where the TCM is located. Would a bad speed sensor give me that error?

Also have a B01E1 and a B0100 related to the traction control and the antilock brakes.

Last edited by Bofornado; 06-18-2018 at 04:21 PM.
Old 06-18-2018, 03:46 PM
Technical Moderator

The speed sensor is on the tail of the trans (passenger side).

However; lack of speedo could be either the IP or the BCM was replaced incorrectly. What about the odo?

If it was sitting for a long time, you need to inspect all of the hidden wires. nesting varmints love the insulation.

Check your PM
Old 06-18-2018, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by donbrew
The speed sensor is on the tail of the trans (passenger side).

However; lack of speedo could be either the IP or the BCM was replaced incorrectly. What about the odo?

If it was sitting for a long time, you need to inspect all of the hidden wires. nesting varmints love the insulation.

Check your PM
Thanks, the vehicle did sit awhile and I do see evidence of rodents under the hood, so that might be the issue. I have not checked the Odometer, if that is not working would that indicate something other than the speed sensor? Car is not here, but 35 miles away at my Mom's place, so I can call up and check the odometer, I have the miles when I bought it and it I drove it 20 miles to get there.

Update: the odometer is definitely not working. Also, after looking for what the TCM looks like, I realized where it was located. Thanks for all the help. Lots of issues, but I am picking them off one at a time.

Last edited by Bofornado; 06-18-2018 at 05:32 PM.
Old 06-18-2018, 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by Oldblue
Sounds like good old VVT Solenoids , but that would involve a code.
Okay, I am fairly new to this board, but I do have a VVT solenoid error so I ordered a new exhaust VVT (code P0013 I think). Thing is I also have the T/C and ABS errors, along with a Power Steering error that shows on the dash information screen. Just seems pretty weird that an engine error would cause all those other issues.

Last edited by donbrew; 06-18-2018 at 06:29 PM.
Old 06-18-2018, 06:13 PM
Technical Moderator

Check you PrivateMessages. Top right
Old 06-18-2018, 06:27 PM
Technical Moderator

the VVT codes make the TC and ABS error. There is a special warranty on the power steering, but it could be from all of the other problems.
Old 06-25-2018, 01:17 PM

Does anyone know anything about error code U0101, loss communication with TCM? Probably the cause of my speedo, lack of shift. Has anyone had to replace a TCM? Thanks to the schematics supplied to me I can now track down the wires that send power to the TCM, but if they are hot the next step is not clear.
Old 06-25-2018, 01:45 PM
Administrator

It’s not the TCM it’s the wires from it to the other computers onboard.
Look also at ground connections for rust and broken wires
Old 06-27-2018, 06:20 PM

Another update: Okay, got the car to shift, but still not sure what is going on. I hooked up a new, separate ground wire to the black wire on theTMC, thinking, no matter what is going on, it will have a good ground to the unit. When I hooked it up there was a tiny spark, and I thought. wow I got it, but the error code U0101 came back on. Then I hooked a jump wire from the TCM to the ECM. Again I got a tiny spark. This time there was no error code for this, (still have P0449 for the canister which I can deal with) and the speedo and transmission worked perfect all the way home. Probably not the way to go through life, but the thought of tracking down a broken wire in that mess is not too high on my list either.

So, at this point I have 3 errors/issues to deal with:

The canister which sounds like a new part needed.

The cruise control does not work, but the ready light on the steering wheel does come on. I did have to replace the brake switch, and wonder if that is effecting things. Of course I have no idea if it was working before then.

Suddenly the key will not come out of the ignition and the shift lock is not working. IE: You can shift into any gear without the key in the ignition. Looked for a fuse for this but did not find anything.

Thanks for all the help from everyone. Just a lot of things that the previous owner just ignored on the car.
Old 06-27-2018, 06:23 PM
Administrator

The key problem is under an extended warranty, check with your GM dealership.

Quick Reply: Lots of electrical issues