Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Low Brake Pedal after Hub assembly change.

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2016, 05:30 PM

So what was the out come ?
They reset abs & trac system when battery was disconnected ?
Old 09-19-2017, 06:11 PM

I know this is an old post. However I need to know how to "reset" the ABS system. My experience was similar in that I had a low brake pedal going forward. In reverse the pedal was firm. The shop (Non Chevrolet Dealer)said they would bleed the brakes. They did, pedal still low. They changed the Master Cylinder. Pedal still low. A mechanic from another shop said that he needed to bleed the system with a Scan Tool. He did and the pedal was firm for about 30 days or 2500 miles. Then my wife did a panic stop and now the pedal is soft and low again. The shop does not know what caused it or what to do. Any direction other than taking to a Chevrolet Dealer would be appreciated.
Old 09-19-2017, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by Wayne B
I know this is an old post. However I need to know how to "reset" the ABS system. My experience was similar in that I had a low brake pedal going forward. In reverse the pedal was firm. The shop (Non Chevrolet Dealer)said they would bleed the brakes. They did, pedal still low. They changed the Master Cylinder. Pedal still low. A mechanic from another shop said that he needed to bleed the system with a Scan Tool. He did and the pedal was firm for about 30 days or 2500 miles. Then my wife did a panic stop and now the pedal is soft and low again. The shop does not know what caused it or what to do. Any direction other than taking to a Chevrolet Dealer would be appreciated.
Hi Wayne, to the forums!!

Apparently, running in gear, with the wheels off the ground, is what caused OP's problem. If you did not do the same, then you likely have a different problem. Did you check all the suggestions that were made in this thread?
Old 09-19-2017, 06:50 PM
Administrator

I have done a reverse bleed in ABS brakes, the trick I believe was I bleed the brakes with the car running. Farest wheel first then the closer and so on.
The owner hasn't complained about any further issues since then, last May

http://www.brakebleeder.com/solution.../how-it-works/
Old 09-19-2017, 07:27 PM

Thank you for the responses. Yes, I did check all the responses. I did not jack up the car and spin the wheels. After a proper Scan Tool Bleed the brakes were perfect. Then after a panic stop whereby it is possible that one or both wheels tired to skid, the soft pedal came back. No lights or codes present.
Old 09-19-2017, 07:31 PM
Technical Moderator

You can't "reset" the ABS, that would not fix your problem anyway. You might try disconnecting the negative post of the battery for 20-30 minutes, that will basically reboot all of the computers. You did not say what happened just before this started.

I was embarrassed to find the correct bleeding sequence is: RR,LF,LR,RF. Since the system is not split F/R, but diagonally. I have been doing it wrong all of these years!

Has anyone looked at the booster?

My 3,000 mile diagnosis is the rear brakes need adjusting or replacement.

No need for a GM dealer, just a good brake shop.
Old 09-19-2017, 08:10 PM

Don;

Thank you for your response. The system had a low/soft brake pedal when I got the vehicle. New front disc pads, adjusted the rear brakes. Brake Service shop then bled the brakes manually, then replaced the master cylinder and could not improve on the soft/low pedal. A technician from a neighboring shop told him that he needed to use his Scan Tool to bleed the brakes. He borrowed the tool and did a Scan Tool Brake Bleed and the pedal was high and firm. After one panic stop one month and 2500 miles later the soft/low pedal returned. The shop has no clue as to what to do now.
Old 09-19-2017, 10:20 PM
Technical Moderator

Find a brake shop.

If the rear brakes are still good then the front calipers are frozen. The panic stop may have broken something in the rear or moved the calipers to a point where they stick.
Old 09-20-2017, 12:38 PM

When I had both rear brake cylinders replaced on Gregg the shop gave him back with a DEAD brake pedal. They didn't adjust the rear shoes at all. After adjustment the pedal firmed up to normal, but overtime would loosen. I discovered they installed the adjustment wheels backwards. I fixed this, great pedal since. with the HHR drums, you have to make it about a 6 month habit to crawl under there and adjust the drums. I wouldn't advise going to a shop, because each shop tech that touches it will have an opinion on drum snugness. For instance, the tech that did mine after he gave the car back after readjusting stated it "makes him uncomfortable to tighten drums that much." When I got the car home after that visit I jacked him up and spun the wheel. slight drag with about 2 rotations of the wheel before stopping under its own weight using the index/thumb method. Works perfect for me, at least.
Old 09-20-2017, 03:05 PM
Technical Moderator

If any tech in a shop looked up on the peg board behind the brake lathe and the shoe trimmer they would see the correct tool for adjusting drum brakes.

First you measure the I.D. of the drum, then use the other side to set the width of the shoes. The tool is usually preset for the proper clearance.
Name:  brake id.PNG
Views: 2139
Size:  30.4 KB
Name:  brake mic.PNG
Views: 2088
Size:  32.2 KB

Quick Reply: Low Brake Pedal after Hub assembly change.