Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Miss fire codes

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 11:13 PM

Not sure I would wait. but any rate. HHR went back in today. same code. the GM engineer is now working with the dealership tech so hopefully this will be the end of it. They pulled the computer and have it in the freezer and the car in the warmth of the shop. I am betting they find and issue with the #3 driver circuit in the computer. I will let you know what they find.
Old 03-17-2010, 12:21 PM

the computer tested out fine. so now a GM engineer has been assigned to the problem. Supposedly this is the only SS in the country that has the problem.

update

Get this the GM engineer has suggested a new computer. Funny part is this is what I recommended before the injectors. ARGH!!! if this fixes it I will be contacting GM Techline myself.
Old 11-17-2010, 10:49 AM

resurect

Sorry to bring this back out but may as continue with the original thread.

From the last time, in April the dealership put new springs in the "new head" because in their great wisdom they only swapped the parts. duh. so pulled everything back apart. Northern Michigan also warmed up. So fast forward to this morning at a 35 deg and raining and guess what check engine light is on again. My bet is Cylinder #3 misfire. Has anyone had a similiar issue with this car that I could convey before the boneheads decide the transmission needs to be replaced......... you know what I am saying here.
Old 11-17-2010, 12:49 PM

you have me worried now i threw a misfire code about two weeks ago. i disconected the battery and problem went away till it got cold for texas about 50 and it missfired but no code yet.
Old 11-17-2010, 12:54 PM
Founding Member

Faster, did a new computer get put in back in March? If so why did it get springs?
Old 11-17-2010, 01:44 PM

they narrowed it to only #3 by swapping plugs, coils and wires. So far the parts replaced in order have been. New #3 injector and seall for the other 3, Head w/ new #3 valves, Computer and valve springs. the concern is it is always #3 cylinder thus the focus. the thought on the head was a hanging valve.
Old 11-17-2010, 01:48 PM

Crazy thing is it only does it at start up in the colder weather. but seemingly cold and damp is the initial trigger, but as it starts to remain cold it will do it either damp or dry.

the previous owner had the same problem just before and after going into storage. I dont' store it for the winter unless you consider it spent 4 months at the dealer last winter. we get 6 so it is saving on the effect of the road salt. LOL
Old 11-17-2010, 01:52 PM

My Misfires were caused by low compression "Failed Rings" in all cyl's. Number 3 was the worse. I think there is a defect with the rings. I also heard this before.

ever since the rebuild, no issue other than the wiring problem with the Stage Kit which I fixed. Have them do a compression check.
Old 11-17-2010, 01:57 PM
Founding Member

If they never did a compression test to begin with, I would be looking for a new dealer.
Old 11-17-2010, 03:12 PM

sorry they did do a compression test at cold temp and said there wasn't an issue. ChevyMgr I have the vin # do you have access to the GM Database it should all be documented there.

Quick Reply: Miss fire codes