Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

missing coolant

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2011, 06:37 PM

well, if warranty covers the head gasket, they should cover the head too. have to trust the dealer to do thier job. scary. never been to a dealer or any shop for that matter. ive always done my own wrenching
Old 04-12-2011, 06:38 PM

why cant the head be resurfaced?
Old 04-12-2011, 06:39 PM

^Random fyi, lose the "h" in ecotech in your sig. It's just ecotec.

Old 04-12-2011, 06:55 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by stanvalp
why cant the head be resurfaced?
Actually, I don't remember. But this topic came up before and I remember our EX-resident Service Manager making that statement.
Old 04-12-2011, 10:38 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by stanvalp
hi sleeper
an appoinment is made at queenston chevy for fri afternoon. as far as cost, a head gasket job is not unreasonable , even if i were to do it myself. my main concern is how long its been leaking. weve had the car for 6 weeks and the coolant was low when we got it. how long has it been leaking into crankcase and what damage has the coolant done to rod and main brgs. coolant and bearing babbit dont play nice together. hopefully i can convince them to r&r a rod brg for inspection. i dont think the mains are accesible cause of the split crankcase design. me thinks that requires an engine r&r.
as far as dropping some on a hot exhaust, i dont think there's enough coolant in the oil to notice any sizzlin. the few drops i detected were pinhead sized. good idea though. just like dropping frozen fries into a deep frier.
Stan-

Good, I hope the Dealer does a very thorough inspection...That's why I stated: "It could be quite expensive, depending on the findings".

& Yep like frozen fries in a fryer..Very old test, but still works..& costs "0" to perform..

Snoppy is right, & being covered under warranty, (personally) I would prefer a new replacement head..

Keep us informed as to the progress, if you don't mind..

sleeper
Old 04-16-2011, 10:09 AM

well, i went to the dealer to have it looked at. long story short, the service manager doesnt think i have a problem. he thinks the drop in exspansion tank was caused by an airlock and the condensation in valve cover is just moisture. they have not seen any headgasket problems with 2.2l ecotec. also he said they have seen very few problems with hhr's. he recomends to continue to monitor it for now. this is acceptable to me. i have to accept his expertise and experience as i have non with these modern engines. he said if i find a problem does exist, to simply return for proper diagnosis. i still have 2 years and 60000km left on powertrain warranty so no worry. he was very good to deal with and spent a good deal of his time with me. i may have cried wolf but time will tell. all in all my first time at a dealer went well.
Old 04-17-2011, 08:32 AM

If you end up having any issues later on please let us know. I'm curious. Its good that you had a good first expierence with your service. I have a good relationship with mine and it helps for when there are issues that need to be fixed.
Old 04-17-2011, 10:41 AM

im still not convinced that there isn't a problem but they have the experience (or lack of due to no problems if u get my drift). i'll know better when i drop the oil. my experience has shown that if any liquid other than oil comes out first(water is at the bottom), then there is a problem. then ill pursue it further. that'll happen in about 2 or 3 weeks. i plan to drain into a celan container then let it settle out for a day then check for water at the bottom. ill also heat up a piece of plate and do the drop/sizzle test. i've never heard of that until this forum. thanks guys. ive also considered an oil analysis but that may cost too much. i asked the dealer. he figured about $70.
Old 04-17-2011, 02:41 PM
Platinum Member

Stan...

You can get an oil analysis done for $25....and another $10 if you want the additional TBN (recommended), from Blackstone Lab, in Ft. Wayne, IN.

If you email them, write them, call them, they will send you the mailable container and instructions.
Old 04-17-2011, 02:43 PM

I know a lot of times, if you have a problem and it's documented, it may be covered under warranty later on even if you're out of warranty(as long as it's not like 10 years down the road)...

Quick Reply: missing coolant