Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

My 75000 Mile Service Report

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2011, 11:50 AM

My 75000 Mile Service Report

Took my 2006 into the dealer for the 75k mile service. Everything looks great except they said my cabin air filter needs to be replaced ("pffffft!! only if you'll do it for $20"), wheels need to be balanced, rear drum brakes need to be cleaned and serviced ("replace the rear brake shoes and cylinder as well for that price and we have a deal") and the front axle boots need to be replaced because they were leaking. I'll post a full report once I get the car back later today.

Are front axle boots the same as the CV (constant velocity) joint boots? If so, I can imagine that the rubber has perished by now.

Also, everyone near the 75k mark, crawl under your HHRs and check your front axle boots!
Old 01-03-2011, 12:04 PM
Deceased

Yes the front axle boots(different terminology from the usual)are the same as the CV boots. 75k seems awful low miles for them to go, but its worth checking anyway. Interested to hear if they found anything else.
Old 01-03-2011, 02:12 PM

843de, thanks. I too feel 75k miles is a little too soon for the rubber to fail. However, the experience I have with the second-hand GM cars I owned, I can imagine that the rubber boots would fail this early.

While I'm waiting for the GM service dept. to call, I have been reading more about sway bar end links (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/problems-service-repairs-42/clunking-issue-solved-30205/) and have found an interesting occurrence: the front struts leak fluid (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/show...0&postcount=21).

Based on the how-to pictures in the sway bar end links thread (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/show...4&postcount=13, it looks like that if the front struts are leaking oil it might make the GM mechanic think that the front axle boots have gone bad.

Just got a call that my HHR is ready. I'll head there to pick it up and will take a look at everything and report back. :)
Old 01-15-2011, 03:14 PM

My report

Ok i've had a chance to collect my thoughts, look over my phone call notes, etc. And here is what happened.

Yes, the rubber CV joint boots were perished. A decent amount too. I recommend everyone crawl under there HHRs and take a look.

My wheels need to be balanced and I have an appointment to do that next week from the place that I bought my tires.

I still have the odd little feeling coming from the front passenger wheel area. Kind of feels like the tire is going flat or that maybe the wheel's lug nuts were not tightened properly. Checked the tire with soapy water and checked the air pressure every day and no leaks. I checked the lug nuts to make sure they torqued down to the proper amount and they were properly torqued. My only other guess is the swaybar end links. I'll check those when my fiance gets back.

But now here is the great part of the dealer. I was told over the phone many times that the entire thing was going to be $365 and some change for CV joint boots, rear brake service, exhaust system check, fuel system check and the normal checks they do anytime a car is brought in for routine mileage interval service. My fiance went to pick up the HHR and the service person she met with said it was going to be $562. She called me and let me speak with the service person. The service person was not helpful so I asked for a manager. The GM of the dealership was there, we explained the situation. The general manager looked over everything, apologized profusely and made things correct.

Turns out the service writer I had spoken with throughout the day goofed up and had them do the cabin filter replacement even though I said not to. This dealer wants $100 to do the cabin filter change. I told the general manager he is more than welcome to give me my old filter and take their new filter out and we'll be on the way. The GM said it wouldn't be necessary, that it was the service writer's mistake and he would not charge us for it.
Old 01-15-2011, 03:22 PM
Deceased

Its those kind of $100 "goofs" that make the dealerships money, so many people wouldn't have called them on it, good for you in getting them to reverse the charge. The iffy feeling on the right front maybe the start of the strut failing, or it might be the end link. Just to be safe I'd crawl under and make sure they tightened everything up since they made one mistake already.
Old 01-15-2011, 04:35 PM

It's good to read about these vehicles with the higher mileage on them. thread like this let the rest of us know what we might experience down the road.

As far as the dealer goes.... None of us are perfect and miscommunication does happen, so it's nice to know they took care of your situation properly. That experience alone would help keep me as a repeat customer.
Old 01-15-2011, 04:44 PM

You said need a wheel balance, that might account for the odd feeling in front.
Old 01-15-2011, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by bk94si
You said need a wheel balance, that might account for the odd feeling in front.
That's what I was thinking too...
Old 01-15-2011, 05:50 PM

$100 bucks for a cabin filter replacement????

I'm gonna open a shop down the street from there..... "Cabin filters 'R us" ...... $79.95, while you wait.

It's a $12-15 part and the swap can be done while asleep.
Old 01-15-2011, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by Greybeard999
$100 bucks for a cabin filter replacement????

I'm gonna open a shop down the street from there..... "Cabin filters 'R us" ...... $79.95, while you wait.

It's a $12-15 part and the swap can be done while asleep.
Where do I sign up for your franchise, we will all be rich and famouse.

Quick Reply: My 75000 Mile Service Report