Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

My exhaust suddenly sounds like a lawn mower

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2017, 01:20 PM

My exhaust suddenly sounds like a lawn mower

2006 with 61k miles. This just happened today, and I did a light Google search. General concensus is an exhaust leak, but I didn't see specific HHR answers. Any ideas about the problem and/or price range of repair?
Old 09-24-2017, 01:36 PM
Technical Moderator

Flex pipe. Here is one of hundreds of threads on this site available by typing "flex pipe" into the search box (hint: change Threads to All)
https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/how-...ex-pipe-31536/
Old 09-24-2017, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by donbrew
Flex pipe. Here is one of hundreds of threads on this site available by typing "flex pipe" into the search box (hint: change Threads to All)
https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/how-...ex-pipe-31536/
I did see that, but that sounded like it was specific to the sound coming from the engine. From all I can tell, mine sounds like it's coming from the back.
Old 09-24-2017, 01:38 PM

First place to look would probably be the flex pipe. If that's the problem, you can replace the whole downpipe, which includes the flex pipe and catalytic convertor(s), and is a bolt in swap, or you can replace just the flex pipe, like here. https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/how-...ex-pipe-31536/
Old 09-24-2017, 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by Jpak88
I did see that, but that sounded like it was specific to the sound coming from the engine. From all I can tell, mine sounds like it's coming from the back.
If it's not the flex pipe, you'll have to get under the car and try to find the leak. Or maybe the muffler or resonator blew out.
Old 09-24-2017, 01:55 PM
Technical Moderator

You said "didn't see specific HHR answers". Any other would not be HHR specific. An exhaust leak is an exhaust leak on any car, a cracked flex pipe on an HHR is one of the most posted problems.

Do that search and you will read 20-30 different descriptions of the symptoms.
Old 09-24-2017, 05:47 PM
Administrator

11 years old, I’d change the front pipe, the resonator or middle pipe and the muffler
Three nuts at the exhaust manifold flange and two O2 sensors, the cut the old system off with a Sawzall!
I went with a Walker exhaust but EBay has choices! But get the pipes at the 2 1/4 inch size.

2006 2007 Chevrolet HHR 2.4L Catalytic Converter OBD II with free Gaskets | eBay

Walker Resonator Assembly fits 2006-2008 Chevrolet HHR WALKER | eBay

Exhaust Muffler-Quiet-Flow SS Muffler WALKER 21572 fits 06-11 Chevrolet HHR | eBay

I’ve changed all this on my HHR in the driveway with a jack and two jack stands to support the drivers side.
Old 09-24-2017, 08:52 PM

When my 2006 HHr got loud from the back earelier this year, it was the middle pipe. Where the pipe goes over the axle, GM spot-welded on a heat shield onto the pipe about 3/4" away from the pipe (to get an air space to keep heat away from brake and fuel lines). The 3/4" gap is a perfect place for the winter snow and salt to jam into and rust it out. There was a hole in the pipe right beneath the heat shield. The rest of the pipe was solid. The replacement pipe from Walker doesn't have the heat shield (the fuel and brake lines are wrapped with heat shield foil anyways).

I could mention that any decent engineer would recognize that the heat shield created a snow/salt trap in winter climates, but it doesn't matter, they keep doing it.

Steve
Old 09-26-2017, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by fastsuv
When my 2006 HHr got loud from the back earelier this year, it was the middle pipe. Where the pipe goes over the axle, GM spot-welded on a heat shield onto the pipe about 3/4" away from the pipe (to get an air space to keep heat away from brake and fuel lines). The 3/4" gap is a perfect place for the winter snow and salt to jam into and rust it out. There was a hole in the pipe right beneath the heat shield. The rest of the pipe was solid. The replacement pipe from Walker doesn't have the heat shield (the fuel and brake lines are wrapped with heat shield foil anyways).

I could mention that any decent engineer would recognize that the heat shield created a snow/salt trap in winter climates, but it doesn't matter, they keep doing it.

Steve
The insulation and clips on the fuel and brake lines also cause them to rust out.
Old 09-26-2017, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by fastsuv

Steve
I just took it to the garage earlier this morning, and that's exactly what it was. However, my entire middle pipenhas been a rusty garbage piece since I got the car. Practically the only thing down there with any substantial rust at all. I knew it was gonna go someday, so I'm biting the bullet and having it replaced. Unfortunately, the lady said all the parts are seperate where they get them from, so the whole situation is gonna run me $200 something for parts, and their labor costs. I trust these guys though. They did offer to do a patch job instead to save me temporary money. They're good people to me.

Quick Reply: My exhaust suddenly sounds like a lawn mower