Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

My SS is in the shop again

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2010, 07:59 AM

Sneezy, my '99 Suburban was built in Mexico and I really can't complain. It managed to protect us from getting killed when we ran off the road and turned it upside down back in October.

The problem is more likely "value engineering" than where the vehicle is assembled. And with the new, even more strict Corporate Average Fuel Economy regs that congress just voted into law, I expect durability issues and repair costs will become even worse in the future.
Old 01-29-2010, 11:49 AM

A lot of issues with the HHR were due to several things.

One issue is it is a old platform one older than the HHR.

Another is GM had great debt when it came to market and they had to cut corners too keep the price down but stll make a profit.

The cars made in Mexico are built just well as any GM plant in the states.
Againt to save high labor cost.

GM today is turnig the corner. The new platforms are much better and have few issues. The drivetrains are better than ever.

Buick is no longer Chevy clones. If you have not driven a recent new GM platform you have not seen or know what the new GM is all about.

A lot things have changed atGM in the last year and will continue to change. GM next year looks to turn a profit like Ford but with out the debt Ford has.

Besides GM gas pedals don't stick. Lol!

To really understand GM today you really have to look at what they are doing today and have planned in the near future.

Heck Chevy looks like they will have a America built Aveo that people really want. A year ago who ever tought that would happen. It also will make money too.
Old 01-29-2010, 08:39 PM

Cool

Originally Posted by hyperv6

Another is GM had great debt when it came to market and they had to cut corners too keep the price down but stll make a profit.

The cars made in Mexico are built just well as any GM plant in the states.
Againt to save high labor cost.

GM today is turnig the corner. The new platforms are much better and have few issues. The drivetrains are better than ever.

Buick is no longer Chevy clones. If you have not driven a recent new GM platform you have not seen or know what the new GM is all about.

A lot things have changed atGM in the last year and will continue to change. GM next year looks to turn a profit like Ford but with out the debt Ford has.

Besides GM gas pedals don't stick. Lol!

To really understand GM today you really have to look at what they are doing today and have planned in the near future.

Heck Chevy looks like they will have a America built Aveo that people really want. A year ago who ever tought that would happen. It also will make money too.

Okay I have to say that despite my issues, GM is still missing the mark. The only person with any idea as to what people want is Lutz, but they tie his hands and he is only one vote at a board meeting. That red tape is why Ford is way better off as it is still family owned and they can make quick decisions without all the bullsh^%. GM takes forever to make a decision and by the time it gets approved, it is no longer relevant. Lutz is the only one that appears to know what people want, but they make him tow the line.

Examples:

1) Cancelled production of Vibe-one of their best cars and Consumer Reports Best Buy
2) Brought Camaro to market 5 YEARS!!! late. Who cares now?
3) Developed Volt just as gas prices fell again- not entirely their fault
4) Cancelled Minivans for Acadia/Traverse-now people will buy a Caravan as opposed to spending twice as much on a GM "Crossover."
5) Closed truck plant in 08-09 (Silverado/Sierra) and gas prices dropped and everyone bought Rams/Tundras and F150's-lost market share
6) Got rid of Pontiac G8- a tried and tested high quality Australian platform that would have been their re-birth. Should have made it a Chevy, knowing Pontiac would be axed if push came to shove (no foresight)!!
7) Develop new CTS (nice car), but then jack up the sticker price $7000 bucks. Now people will buy the BMW instead.
8) THANK GOD THEY STILL MAKE THE VETTE (variants of it) AND ZR1- if they cancel this I am officially done

I am 33 and the younger generations HATE the big 3. Even with renewed products (ie nice new Buick and Caddy) dunno how much it will help. What they really need to nail is the next Cobalt, to try and convince younger people that GM is okay....but otherwise those people will go from reliable Civics to CRV's, not Equinoxes. That's just me
Old 01-29-2010, 09:44 PM

The best car of the series is usually the last two years of production.

So my 2009 HHRSS is now junk?
Old 01-31-2010, 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by hyperv6

This is the problem with GM and it's also WHY I won't buy another one. They make it cheap to buy instead of reliable. I would have still bought the car if it was 3K more and reliable. Instead I'm looking at losing money to get rid of an unreliable POS car that GM has made and yet they still want me to be loyal.

The biggest problem is what to replace it with. I have driven the competition and don't like them.

So I'm left with 2 cars I like. The Mustang GT and a Prius. I already have 1 Prius and don't really need another, but it may end up going that way because I want a hatch back. That and it's 35K for the Mustang I want which is out of my budget.

GM lost me because of the POS they sold me instead of making a better car.

And they can't fix it. It's never the same problem repeatedly. Just lots of new ones, but not enough to spend 30 days in the shop in 1 year, but 12 is way to much in my book for 09. I'm already at 2 days for 2010.

Goodby GM.