Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Need help! 2009 HHR!

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2013, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by donbrew
Your mechanic saw you coming. Find a new one.

The ESC and traction lights come on whenever there is a "performance" code.

I am guessing that the engine is overheating, sounds kind of like the fan is not working either. Do you know how to open the hood? That's where the oil and coolant levels get checked, it's not magic and it is VERY important to do yourself.

Get a Owner Manual. Use the search tool near the top of this page, they are available in PDF format on this site. ("2009 hhr owner manual")

If you look at the rear of the car lower right side of the tail gate you should see a LS,LT or SS. That is the model of the car.
Wow I'm not THAT mechanically uninclined lol. I know where/how to check fluids I just didn't think a misfiring issue has anything to do with coolant. My dash says it is staying around 200° no indication that it could be over heating, no smell of engine over heating either. It is a LT model. I have a manual and I read it to try to find some clues as to what is going on.. Although I'm not that experienced especially with this vehicle.
Old 10-22-2013, 05:59 PM
Platinum Member

Are you reading the 200 degrees on your dash when you are idling AND getting the misfire?

Carrying on with the cooling train of thought..... check the temp when you have your problem. It is a critical function and diagnostic, at this point.

If you are experiencing a temp. problem we, the members, can offer additional info. If not..........
Old 10-22-2013, 06:50 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by shootingstar85
Wow I'm not THAT mechanically uninclined lol. I know where/how to check fluids I just didn't think a misfiring issue has anything to do with coolant. My dash says it is staying around 200° no indication that it could be over heating, no smell of engine over heating either. It is a LT model. I have a manual and I read it to try to find some clues as to what is going on.. Although I'm not that experienced especially with this vehicle.
I'm kind of leaning towards a problem with the valves/valve guides for cyl #3. I believe that can be diagnosed by a "Compression leak-down" test, which any competent mechanic should be able to do.

If you still have any of the 5/50,000 mile warranty left, I'd run it by a GM dealer asap.
Old 10-22-2013, 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by Snoopy
Are you reading the 200 degrees on your dash when you are idling AND getting the misfire?

Carrying on with the cooling train of thought..... check the temp when you have your problem. It is a critical function and diagnostic, at this point.

If you are experiencing a temp. problem we, the members, can offer additional info. If not..........
I'll check the temp next time it's idling. The coolant was a bit low so maybe that is the problem.... I'll let you know what I find out.. Thanks guys!
Old 10-22-2013, 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by whopper

I'm kind of leaning towards a problem with the valves/valve guides for cyl #3. I believe that can be diagnosed by a "Compression leak-down" test, which any competent mechanic should be able to do.

If you still have any of the 5/50,000 mile warranty left, I'd run it by a GM dealer asap.
Yeah compression test will be done next.. It has about 140,000 miles on it so no chance on warranty...
Old 10-22-2013, 07:18 PM

Question.. If it were the valve/valve guides wouldn't it run bad all the time and not only when the engine light is on?
Old 10-22-2013, 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by Snoopy

Ok it's running no more than 193° when idling and misfiring..
Old 10-22-2013, 08:19 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by shootingstar85
Question.. If it were the valve/valve guides wouldn't it run bad all the time and not only when the engine light is on?
Not necessarily. The way I understand it, I believe the light comes on due to the misfires, after the computer detects a certain number of them. Once that threshold is reached, the engine then goes into limp mode along with the CEL light etc..

Others can maybe explain it a bit better, and maybe correct any misunderstanding I have on it.
Old 10-22-2013, 08:21 PM
Platinum Member

How long have you had the vehicle? I was wondering if it was a recent purchase, or if you have had it quite a while.
Old 10-22-2013, 08:45 PM

How long have you had the vehicle? I was wondering if it was a recent purchase, or if you have had it quite a while.
I've had it for almost 2 years. This is the first time I've had any problems with it.

Quick Reply: Need help! 2009 HHR!