Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Need to know main ground locations

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2019, 05:37 PM

Need to know main ground locations

This is the third time I can get in the car with a known good battery in it and it's like the battery is no good.
Happened the first time before the winter when I had my original Delco. OK I said the battery is 10+ years old.
Got a new Interstate battery and all through the winter not a problem.
I posted another thread here about my radom battery failure but don't know how to retrieve it.
Anyway three days ago the same thing happened. First used my load tester at the underhood power points and it looked like the battery was dead when tested. Jumped the car and started. Charging system OK.
Today (3 days later) same thing.
I happen to have tools with me and my volt ohm meter, as I was stuck in a parking lot and not at my house.
At the battery it showed 7 volts. Took the negative terminal off and measured voltage. Reading was 12.
Had a person jump me and it showed 13.8 and the car started no problem.
Sorry for the long story about this .
I would like to know where the main chassis grounds are on this car so I can look there as a starting point.
Thanks
Old 05-25-2019, 06:05 PM
Administrator

It’s a sticky in the “How to” section

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/how-...cations-56504/

I hope this helps, load testing should be done at the battery terminals , to avoid voltage spikes , which can fry a computer.
Check for a dead cell, somebody posted resently about one of those batteries having issues
Old 05-25-2019, 06:11 PM
Technical Moderator

What is radom?

I looked at the stickies in the How-To forum and saw https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/how-...cations-56504/ is that what you need?

I would look at the alternator diodes first, something is trying to be a motor. I guess you could just disconnect the alternator either at the fuse box or the alternator and do the same check on the battery.
Old 05-26-2019, 02:22 AM

Originally Posted by donbrew
What is radom?

I looked at the stickies in the How-To forum and saw https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/how-...cations-56504/ is that what you need?

I would look at the alternator diodes first, something is trying to be a motor. I guess you could just disconnect the alternator either at the fuse box or the alternator and do the same check on the battery.
What I mean by random is. Shut car off and go to restart a second later and it's basically dead. The symptoms of a bad battery or like you have a loose battery cable connection. Use a jumper pack starts up and alternator puts out 14.4 volts.
Other times it will not give me a problem, will start time after time.
Last time this happened I got the car started and took it to the Interstate dealer. They gave me a loaner battery for the weekend and did a shop recharge and test on the battery. They said nothing was wrong with mine so I put it back in.
Never had an issue all through the winter.
Thanks for the link for ground locations.

I did find a wiring diagram for the start circuit also.

Last edited by Cat Man HHR; 05-26-2019 at 03:20 AM.
Old 05-26-2019, 06:20 AM
Administrator

I suggest a load test at any parts palace.
Old 05-26-2019, 09:00 AM
Technical Moderator

I guess you won't take my suggestion of checking the alternator diodes. Obviously something is trying to draw power from the battery when the key is off; the alternator is directly connected to the battery; the alternator without the diodes is a motor.