Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Need a little help..

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2014, 12:06 AM

Need a little help..

When I bought my 2011 HHR from the dealer on the 7th it was running when I came to pick it up, they stated the battery needed jumped and as I drove it home it would charge it back up.

When I got home (13 miles away) went to take my family to dinner and it was dead. I boosted it took them to dinner 15 miles away and after it was dead. I took it back to them the next morning (the 8th) they said "yeah, it tested weak but we thought it would be good" and put a brand new battery in it. (its to be noted while the car was running it ran fine no problems)

It still started weird but atleast it started eveytime. on the 10th I added a subwoofer with a small little 250watt amp. It still starts weird and letting my wife listen to the radio at the gas station (i ran in 3 mins to get a drink) came back out it clicked hard and wouldn't crank. not a fast click like it was dead just a good healthy click. After I kept trying it a while it finally started.

Since it will start everytime but with the weird way like its on the verge of dead yet, not.

I'm stumped as to lean towards the alternator or the starter.

-Terminals tight
-Nut at the front by the fuse box tight
-Fuses good.

I mean it starts everytime I'd just like to be able to listen to the radio for a few mins if I'm waiting outside somewhere.

Here is the weird yet 'reliable' start.
Old 05-13-2014, 01:21 AM
Platinum Member

did you check the connections at the starter itself?

If those connections look good, disconnect the subwoofer and the amp totally first off. Get the battery charged up fully - and do not expect a 2 amp charger to top it up properly overnight - you need a 10 amp charger at least.

If it still has problems you need to take it to a autoparts shop where they will test the battery, as well as the charging system.

If it is running ok once it starts, I would not think it is the alternator causing the problem, as it likely is supplying all the power to run the vehicle.

The common denominator is the battery (yes, I know it is new - but it was never charged up properly, plus you then added the stereo equipment). Who installed the subwoofer and amp? Are you sure they are not drawing power when the vehicle is off? that needs to be tested and verified as well.
Old 05-13-2014, 06:43 AM
Deceased

X2 to all of the above.
Old 05-13-2014, 10:11 AM

The new battery I purchased from Napa did the same thing to me.
Took it back and they said "it wasn't charged fully". Next two days it did the same thing. Took it back put it on the counter and said "This battery is no good" They installed another and I have had no problems. This has happened twice in the last few years at this same Napa store. Needless to say I do not buy anything there now.

Boydie

Originally Posted by whopper

If those connections look good, disconnect the subwoofer and the amp totally first off. Get the battery charged up fully - and do not expect a 2 amp charger to top it up properly overnight - you need a 10 amp charger at least.

If it still has problems you need to take it to a autoparts shop where they will test the battery, as well as the charging system.

If it is running ok once it starts, I would not think it is the alternator causing the problem, as it likely is supplying all the power to run the vehicle.

The common denominator is the battery (yes, I know it is new - but it was never charged up properly, plus you then added the stereo equipment). Who installed the subwoofer and amp? Are you sure they are not drawing power when the vehicle is off? that needs to be tested and verified as well.
Old 05-13-2014, 04:15 PM

I haven't checked the starter connections yet. best to access from the top or bottom? (going to do it before work in the morning)

The system was installed by me and I'm very knowledgeable. I've triple checked it and only draws with the radio on.

I watched the dealership install a brand new battery (even pulled off the caps that cover our unique size battery) and it started right up (weird way in video) and I drove it around all day like that. And that was before I installed the system.

Is it possible to charge the battery fully with just the alternator? I don't have a battery charger anymore.
Old 05-13-2014, 05:46 PM
Platinum Member

Access the starter from the top or bottom? Open the hood and look.

Brand new battery - glad it is a new battery - but they often just add the acid which gives it maybe a 50-60% charge. Ideally it should be put on a charger to top it up fully. Yes the alternator will charge it up fully - eventually - if you drive far enough. If you are just doing short hops with it, it will take a while.

I still stand by my original suggestions:

If those connections look good at the starter, disconnect the subwoofer and the amp totally first off (it's a process of elimination at this point - and since the problem started AFTER installing them, just take them out of the equation). Get the battery charged up fully - and do not expect a 2 amp charger to top it up properly overnight - you need a 10 amp charger at least.

If it all passes all those steps, you will need to install a ammeter to measure the parasitic draw when the engine is off.
Old 05-13-2014, 07:59 PM

Access the starter from the top or bottom? Open the hood and look.

Brand new battery - glad it is a new battery - but they often just add the acid which gives it maybe a 50-60% charge. Ideally it should be put on a charger to top it up fully. Yes the alternator will charge it up fully - eventually - if you drive far enough. If you are just doing short hops with it, it will take a while.

I still stand by my original suggestions:

If those connections look good at the starter, disconnect the subwoofer and the amp totally first off (it's a process of elimination at this point - and since the problem started AFTER installing them, just take them out of the equation). Get the battery charged up fully - and do not expect a 2 amp charger to top it up properly overnight - you need a 10 amp charger at least.

If it all passes all those steps, you will need to install a ammeter to measure the parasitic draw when the engine is off.
The problem didn't start after the sub install, I stated it was starting the weird way right after they put in the new battery but at least it started every time. unlike the old dead battery that needed boosted.

Anyway, I'll disconnect the amp after I get off work tonight and check the connections in the morning when I get some light. day or 2 after that if its still doing the same thing, I'll take it to a parts house for the test.

I'll report back after I find out whats going on just in case someone runs into this in the future.
Old 05-13-2014, 08:17 PM

LED lights anywhere?
Old 05-13-2014, 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by donbrew
LED lights anywhere?
None yet.
Old 05-13-2014, 08:55 PM
Platinum Member

Yeah, now it's just a process of elimination - and man, that can get time consuming and frustrating.