Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Nellie's sick - rough start w/check engine light

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2007, 01:32 PM

Nellie's sick - rough start w/check engine light

OK, here goes...

Went out to Nellie to go to town Fri evening, Turned key, Nellie cranked for 15-20 secs, didn't start, shut her down. Waited 10-15 seconds turned key, cranked for 30 seconds, didn't start, shut her down. @%#$*^! for 20-30 seconds, tried one more time, turned key cranked for 5 seconds, fired up, ran rough for 15-20 seconds, smoothed out somewhat (but still rough) and check engine light came on. Shut her down, went to town in another vehicle.

Went to check on her this noon, she starts right up, but runs a little rough and the check engine light comes on almost instantly.

Thoughts:

Initial thought of bad gas discarded since it's been 120 miles since my last fill-up.

Second thought - Maybe it's a fouled sensor since I have CGS intake with Outlaw filter (Outlaw filter was put on about 400-500 miles ago).

Any meaningful input appreciated

My plan of action: await input from y'all - clean sensor (once y'all tell me how & what to use for cleaning) - if that doesn't work, put stock air cleaner back on and take her to the dealer for her first ever visit.

BTW, HAPPY NEW YEAR to all
Old 12-31-2007, 01:37 PM

Wackaloon..the same thing happened to me a while back. Let me go get the post that has that info and bring link here or boot it up.
Old 12-31-2007, 01:40 PM

Can you drive it? If so go to autozone,petboys,ect.ect have them CK the code and go from there. If the code is MAF or air temp sensor then you are on the right track with the air intake..
Old 12-31-2007, 01:42 PM

Here's ya go...mine was spark plugs and an ignition module. Posted all the info that was on my ticket in this thread as well. Hope this helps.

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/problems-service-repairs-42/smoke-shop-11606/
Old 12-31-2007, 01:59 PM

Thanks for the quick responses Oneton and Deb

Additional info: When I start her up the check engine initially comes on steady but after 5 or so seconds changes to flashing; so I guess I shouldn't drive her to Autozone

Second, I had changed out the plugs to Bosch +4s, but doubt that could be the cause of this issue since she's been running great with them for about 17000 miles.

Beginning to sound more like Deb's issue...
Old 12-31-2007, 02:29 PM

I too had the Bosch +4 plugs in mine as well and they have been in there for quite some time. I also have the CGS intake and IMCO muffler. Seems like yours is having the same problem as mine. I would just call the dealership and have them come pick up the car. Please feel to refer to the stuff in my post as far as part numbers and such. Sounds like an exact duplication of what happened to me and they advised me to pull it over immediately and not drive it any more once the check engine light started flashing. They towed it in for free and provided me with a rental while repairs were made.

Good luck and please let us know how things go.
Old 12-31-2007, 02:36 PM

Exact same problem as Deb Bosch plugs, burned out ignition coil, was only firing on two cylinders.
Old 12-31-2007, 05:13 PM
Banned

Sounds like another possible case of damage due to the CGS mounting bracket on the older 2.2 engine.
Old 12-31-2007, 05:23 PM

It's the Bosch plugs.....Mine did the exact same thing.....This has also been a hot topic over at the Colbalt forum also.....
Old 12-31-2007, 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by hhrcrafty
Sounds like another possible case of damage due to the CGS mounting bracket on the older 2.2 engine.
Not a CGS problem, 99% sure it's a bosch +4 problem.

Quick Reply: Nellie's sick - rough start w/check engine light