Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

New Key and Fobs

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2018, 07:21 PM

New Key and Fobs

Hi all. I just bought my first HHR yesterday, a 2009 LT. The dealer only had a single key and no fob. I'm going to need to get an extra key for my wife, and 2 new fobs. We definitely want 2 fobs w/ remote start, and I've checked the glovebox sticker and AP3 was listed, and I've gone through the settings and made sure Remote Start is set to ON. I'm just a little confused by all the things I've read and want to get some clarification.

1) From what I've gathered, for a new key all I need to do is get a new key (was looking at this one:
Amazon Amazon
), get it cut and then do the routine where I turn the ignition to ON w/ my current key, wait a couple seconds, turn it off, then immediately put in the new key and turn it to ON. At this point it should be linked to the car and good to go, correct?

2) For the fobs, I'm a bit more confused. I've seen people saying you can program them yourself, that you need to buy a tool to program them, and that only a dealer or locksmith can do it. Suffice to say, I'm not sure what to trust, what I need to buy, etc. I certainly don't want to take it to a dealer only to have them try and sneak a couple hundred bucks out of me if I can avoid it.
Old 10-19-2018, 08:08 PM
Technical Moderator

The key matching procedure is in your Owner Manual. Don't have one? Follow the link in my sig.

Fobs with a programming module can be found on ebay or any place that sell Dorman products. You can use the module to program additional fobs. We recommend you get Genuine GM fobs.

Or you can get fobs from any source you like and get a locksmith or a Gm dealer or a shop with suitable computer to program.
Old 10-19-2018, 09:17 PM

This link will take you to the thread documenting my experience with both Dorman and GM fobs. You've probably already looked through it. https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/prob...grammer-59484/
Old 10-20-2018, 03:04 PM

Thanks for the insight don and RJ. I got everything ordered and hopefully it all goes smoothly once it gets here. Plenty of other little things to fix as well, so I expect to be fairly active over the next few months.

Cheers!
Old 10-20-2018, 03:57 PM
Technical Moderator

BTW, when you get the fobs panic + lock = remote start, you don't need a special fob.
Old 10-20-2018, 04:20 PM

I read that somewhere and was intrigued by it, but I ended up getting the fobs with the remote start button anyway. There are definitely mornings that I wake up and can barely use a doorknob, much less remember which 2 buttons to hold to trick it into starting.
Old 10-20-2018, 05:39 PM

Just a heads up... You mentioned "other little things to fix". If any of those have a check engine light involved the remote start won't operate... Might save you from chasing your tail.
Old 10-20-2018, 06:01 PM

Nope, no check engine lights or codes being thrown. Just little things like speakers that need replaced, I have to repair the turn signal, and the cig lighter is loose and needs to be replaced I think.
Old 10-20-2018, 06:22 PM
Technical Moderator

Unless you have the "Smoker Package" option that is a 12V accessory outlet NOT a cig lighter. There is a difference, one melts the other doesn't; one has a hold down spring for hot the other doesn't.
Old 10-21-2018, 12:43 PM

Good info to know.

If I'm going to replace it, I might as well switch ou out for one with USB ports. Anyone have any recommendations?

Quick Reply: New Key and Fobs