Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Dorman FOB and Programmer

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2017, 03:49 PM

Dorman FOB and Programmer

The HHR I recently bought only had one key and one FOB. So I bought the Dorman FOB and programmer from Rock Auto. It didn't work. the instructions say that the programmer will either turn on the orange light on the programmer or make a chime noise after about 15-20 seconds after you turn the ignition on and plug it in. On my HHR, it took a lot longer (maybe about a minute), and then the orange light blinks on and off repeatedly for about 20 seconds. The next step is you press the lock and unlock keys at the same time and hold them down until the locks cycle. Mine did not cycle or respond in any way. I tried it several times, following the directions exactly. The Dorman kit says it's for an HHR right on the packaging.

I know some members have used the kit successfully. Do you remember how long it took for the programmer to illuminate the orange light and/or chime? Did it flash on and off?

Steve
Old 05-10-2017, 04:25 PM
Technical Moderator

One member had to send one back for replacement.

Sounds sort of like a low battery.

Is it a 2008? It may need reload of software.
Old 05-10-2017, 08:17 PM

It's a 2006 HHR 1LT.

I tried replacing the battery that came with the FOB, but it didn't help.

Rock Auto is pretty good with returns, so I am going to send this one back and get another one.

Steve
Old 05-10-2017, 09:43 PM
Technical Moderator

I meant the car battery.
Old 05-10-2017, 11:22 PM
JSK

The Dorman programming I did for my 2010 SS was VERY easy, although the process sounds slightly different. I don't remember any long wait times for the programmer to respond, in any case. Good luck (yes, Rock Auto IS very good about returns).
Old 05-11-2017, 08:34 AM
Technical Moderator

Check fuse #29 under the hood; that is the power for the OBDii port.
Old 09-29-2017, 10:21 PM

I finally got around to programming my new fob(and the old one too) a few days ago. Mine worked just like it said.

One thing I didn't expect, the programmer was difficult to get into the OBD port. Then after I was all done, my next trip out I got a CEL. The code was U0073. I hope it was a phantom, I cleared the code and it hasn't come back.

Even if the programmer bent a pin in the OBD port, with nothing plugged into the port, there should be no problem, right? I'll update if it comes back.

Good thing I bought new batteries, new fob is nearly dead today. First time for me for the DIC message, even though I've had dead batteries on the original fob a few times.
Old 09-29-2017, 10:32 PM
Technical Moderator

u0073 seems to mean the programmer caused a short on the CAN bus. My guess is either that is a signal sent to the BCM or that is what made for the difficulty. Inspect the pins and slots.

Might be a previos owner thought the internet directions for reading OBD codes are the same for OBD2, You used tho short 2 slots a count the CEL flashes.
Old 09-30-2017, 08:53 PM

Ok now I'm a bit aggravated. The code has not come back, but I'm on battery #5, still telling me KEY FOB BATT LOW. Looks like I am the 4th on this site to have this experience. I have emailed Dorman, wait and see what they say.

I'm outside of Summit's 90 day return period, that's what procrastination gets you! I may just get an OEM fob and use the programmer on it. Or get someone to solder my battery cage back on. Or both.
Old 09-30-2017, 10:31 PM
Technical Moderator

I think the program module has a 4 fob limit. The computer only has 4 slots and evidently the program, module does not erase the old fobs.
I wonder if they are using a different supplier for the fobs. They originally where OEM.

Quick Reply: Dorman FOB and Programmer