Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

New Problem - slow gasoline refill

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 10:42 AM

New Problem - slow gasoline refill

All of a sudden, MY HHR LT2 will only take gas at the very slowest setting. Takes about a dozen clicks on the pump just to get it going as slowly a possible, and some gas stations can't even get the flow started. Any ideas what could have suddenly started this behavior?
Old 06-01-2011, 10:56 AM

As far as I know that's a pump problem. Im not sure why it does it at every station you go to though? One of the clerks at a gas station once told me it was because whoever used the pump before, had overflowed their tank and it caused a problem with the sensor in the nozzle that detects when to auto shut-off.
Old 06-01-2011, 11:00 AM
geg

if it happens in Russia, then I would say - they steal.
Whatever it was your car in this case is not to blame
Old 06-01-2011, 11:00 AM
Deceased

Another possibility is a restriction in your filler pipe, some "helpful" individual might have stuffed something down there, happened to me once...what a pain in the butt 'till I figured it out.
Old 06-01-2011, 11:18 AM

I believe there is a post somewhere on the site, that it has to due with the pump and the angle the nozzle goes in at. Someone more knowledgeable might chime in or do a search.
Old 06-01-2011, 12:39 PM

It's hot all of a sudden... Vapor coming back up the filler tube "can" cause this.... but really shouldn't on the HHR. Isn't there a vent tube on these things? maybe a restriction there?
Old 06-01-2011, 03:15 PM

My guess is some sort of restriction in your filler pipe. Either as 843de suggested, something foreign is in that filler pipe, or the vent is blocked. I haven't looked, but if there is a rubber section between the filler pipe and the tank, it could be kinked and causing exactly the problem you describe. I had a similiar problem with our motor home, the flex part of the filler pipe had too sharp a corner and it took forever to get it refilled with diesel. Straightening that solved the problem.
Old 06-01-2011, 11:31 PM

I have seen the fuel tank vent valve get stuck causing very slow fills. I have replaced a few but not on the hhr it has been other gm models. you can test this by unhooking the big vent line from the canister then try to put gas in it if it fills ok then it would be a vent problem.
Old 06-01-2011, 11:46 PM
geg

Blame the car or not - it is easy to check. Enough to refuel at the 3 - 5 stations. If problem present of all - blame the car, you can disembowel it. If the problem does not repeat itself - to blame the seller of gasoline, its equipment is not ideal.

Not put filling pistol deeply into the pipe. Put only its end, so you can see the pressure of gasoline.

I'm no expert, but I think
- If the logjam in the main pipe, petrol should spill out;
- If the logjam in the vent pipe, petrol is still out also, but accompanied by blisters.
Old 06-02-2011, 11:29 AM

Dear diskullman,

I have read your post about the slow gasoline refill situation with your HHR. I am curious as to what your local Chevrolet dealership's service technicians have diagnosed.

Michelle, Chevrolet Customer Service

Quick Reply: New Problem - slow gasoline refill