Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

New Tire Presure Monitors?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2014, 12:50 PM

New Tire Presure Monitors?

I have had my 2009 HHR for 5 years now and 27,000 miles.Going to get new tires soon and was wondering if I should replace the tire pressure monitors at this time while the tires are being replaced.Got a feeling that sometime soon after tire replacement it will be time for new tire monitors.So maybe just replace them now to be safe instead of having to unmount the tires again to replace the monitors eventually.Obviously if I knew they would last another 5 years I would not bother.My last cars monitors only lasted 4 years.How long should I expect them to last until the batteries in them die?How long have yours lasted?Thanks!
Old 03-07-2014, 02:06 PM

The batteries are supposed to be 5 years, if you get more......

However, they usually last "forever".
Old 03-07-2014, 02:34 PM

Most tire stores have a test tool for the tire pressure monitor sensors. Mine will tell me if the battery in the sensor is ok or week. You can have them tested when the tires are mounted
Old 03-08-2014, 08:09 AM

I have replace just one that went bad in my 2008.
Old 03-08-2014, 04:58 PM

I get great service and pricing from America's Tire, but they push a TMPS re-build kit when they install new tires. I'm sure they put new batteries in at that time, as well as other parts(?) This may just be a way to up charge, but it's only something like $9.00 a wheel, and seems to offer me some peace of mind -- not that my tires are keeping me awake at night anyway.
Old 03-08-2014, 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by Graphics Guy
I get great service and pricing from America's Tire, but they push a TMPS re-build kit when they install new tires. I'm sure they put new batteries in at that time, as well as other parts(?) This may just be a way to up charge, but it's only something like $9.00 a wheel, and seems to offer me some peace of mind -- not that my tires are keeping me awake at night anyway.
NO THEY DON'T. The battery is integral to the TPMS sending unit which will cost at least $40, more likely $100 each + labor.

The "B---S----" kit is a new valve stem (PERIOD). I refuse to pay for them. The local Firestone place tried to tell me that Company Policy is to not let a tire go out the door without it, but the could not tell me what they might be doing to break the old one if it came in good.

The modern valve stem has a brass center and modern rubber, so they DO NOT fail like the stems of yore. The tire busters have a slightly easier job just breaking the stem instead of removing the core, so as far as I can tell they should give me a labor credit not charge for it.
Old 03-09-2014, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by Graphics Guy
I work for Firestone... The bolt in type TPMS kit will get you a new rubber washer, retainer nut, schrader valve and cap. otherwise you get the valves stem that your TPMS bolt to. I believe cost is about $7. Batteries are not replaceable. The only way to get a new battery is to replace the sensor.
All valve stems are rubber and have brass center. All rubber will deteriorate with time, modern or not, that is why a tire should be taken out of service after so much time. UV, rubber and time are not friends. I have seen many tires and stems fail because of age. When a stem fails, it will most likely fail at highway speeds. (That is when a tire run the hottest) The result is a destroyed tire.
Tire busters do not have an easier time at all. Ask any one who works in the industry what one they would rather do. With a TPMS, extra care must be taken, as not to break it. Special procedures must be taken, if a tire buster breaks your TPMS who do you think pays for it?
You may or may not agree with the procedure, but that's the reason. Just sayin

Last edited by jczboy; 03-10-2014 at 08:10 PM.
Old 03-09-2014, 08:25 PM

Donbrew, Jczboy, thanks much for the info!
Old 03-11-2014, 02:32 PM

When I was a tire buster in the 70's, I would take the peeler and whack the stem. That was much easier and faster than removing the core.

The old stems did not have a full length brass center, only the top where the core screws in. Those old stems could be "demonstrated" to be bad after 10,000 miles or so by bending them and showing the cracks. I used to make $1 commission for each (not proud).

The stems on my 2000 Mazda Protege are OE with no sign of cracking. 2 of the tires had to be replaced because they flunked inspection because of cracking sidewalls.

Serious question: What can the tire buster do to break my TPM? He can just pull the core to let the air out, the peeler does not get anywhere close to it. If it comes in working why would it need servicing? I do know for sure the core is identical to cores from 15 years ago, The cap has an O-ring in it (use the old one), The cap is a mm longer to cover all of the brass (use the old one).

My local Wal-Mart will not even try to sell valve stems to cars with TPMS, they just mount them up.
Old 03-11-2014, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by donbrew
When I was a tire buster in the 70's, I would take the peeler and whack the stem. That was much easier and faster than removing the core.

The old stems did not have a full length brass center, only the top where the core screws in. Those old stems could be "demonstrated" to be bad after 10,000 miles or so by bending them and showing the cracks. I used to make $1 commission for each (not proud).

The stems on my 2000 Mazda Protege are OE with no sign of cracking. 2 of the tires had to be replaced because they flunked inspection because of cracking sidewalls.

Serious question: What can the tire buster do to break my TPM? He can just pull the core to let the air out, the peeler does not get anywhere close to it. If it comes in working why would it need servicing? I do know for sure the core is identical to cores from 15 years ago, The cap has an O-ring in it (use the old one), The cap is a mm longer to cover all of the brass (use the old one).

My local Wal-Mart will not even try to sell valve stems to cars with TPMS, they just mount them up.
Hey Donbrew... I too have busted tires since the 70's, Started Nov 1st 1977 & still do when called on (when I'm not diagnosing or instructing). But I do a class on installing tires on a wheel with TPMS. The big problem is when the bead is stretched over the TPMS. It will break every time. So it needs to be at the right angle, as to make sure the bead is first part to be taken off. (Top and bottom) Installing it must be the last part. I may be able to come up with some pictures on Thursday if you are really interested. (Running a class tomorrow)

Quick Reply: New Tire Presure Monitors?