Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

New wheel bearing noise

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2016, 07:52 PM

New wheel bearing noise

Hello all, I wanted to run this by everyone to see what some of the thoughts were.
I have a 2008 LT Panel. 2.4 automatic. 4 wheel ABS. 88k miles. I have owned the car for 14k miles. I Have replaced all front suspension components since I've owned it. Also had new dealer installed front axles. Recent new tires. I Recently replaced front bearing hubs and tie rod ends myself, then had an alignment. Now, for whatever reason I have a bearing humming sound that appears specifically at 35 mph... I have no clue other than maybe I didn't get the axle nut tight enough, but I hit it a bump past 155 ft lbs. and was afraid to go anymore than that even though I hear a click not when I put it in reverse. OR, i have a crappy "new" bearing. Anyway, hoping all of this is somehow relative to the humming noise at 35mph. Thanks

Branden
Old 07-25-2016, 07:56 PM
Administrator

Sounds like a bad new bearing! You gonna need a new nut to! Try contacting the company you bought the defective one from, they should exchange it!
Old 07-25-2016, 08:30 PM

I once picked a new bearing up out of the box that had 1/8 inch play in it.

Do you know there are rear bearings?
Old 07-26-2016, 03:07 PM

Yeah thats what I was afraid of. Just wondered if there might be something else going that you all knew about. it's almost like a harmonic type of noise. Anyway. Just wondered why you thought I need a new nut, old blue? Also, yes Donbrew, I know that it has rear bearnings and that they also need replaced as well. Just curious what my other options might be for the rear wheels other than bearings? Maybe I missed something. Thanks
Old 07-26-2016, 03:18 PM
Platinum Member

The big axle nut is a "one time use only" part.
Old 08-13-2016, 02:47 AM

Update: I ended up getting 4 new MOOG hub assemblies from Rockauto.com. I got the front hubs replaced yesterday with new Axle nuts, torqued to 155, and it did not fix this funky humming sound that I have. Whats best is, when I got them installed and drove the car around for a bit it seemed as though it was fixed. I didn't really hear it, but when I took off this morning it was back but not as loud as it was with the other hubs that I put in the first time. I will put the rear hubs on later today although I don't think they are causing this noise. It is coming from the front. I have read other posts about humming noises but they have all been bad hubs in the end. Now I'm wondering if it is something in the transmission or something that I didn't think of. Just wondered if anyone else has had this problem that was not hub related? The noise does not change with turning or speed changes. It is just there, this harmonic sounding hum.... around 35mph hmmmmmmmm........Thanks
Old 08-13-2016, 07:45 AM

Have you revved the engine up while parked, to test for flex pipe?

Could be a bad CV axle.

Could be bad alternator

Could be a bad serpentine tensioner.

Could be a bad A/C.

Could be tires. Are yours "directional" or "this side out".
Old 08-13-2016, 08:05 AM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Branjo
Update: I ended up getting 4 new MOOG hub assemblies from Rockauto.com. I got the front hubs replaced yesterday with new Axle nuts, torqued to 155, and it did not fix this funky humming sound that I have. Whats best is, when I got them installed and drove the car around for a bit it seemed as though it was fixed. I didn't really hear it, but when I took off this morning it was back but not as loud as it was with the other hubs that I put in the first time. I will put the rear hubs on later today although I don't think they are causing this noise. It is coming from the front. I have read other posts about humming noises but they have all been bad hubs in the end. Now I'm wondering if it is something in the transmission or something that I didn't think of. Just wondered if anyone else has had this problem that was not hub related? The noise does not change with turning or speed changes. It is just there, this harmonic sounding hum.... around 35mph hmmmmmmmm........Thanks
Maybe you could clarify the above in red.
Is it only around 35mph, OR speed changes don't effect it.
Old 08-18-2016, 04:53 AM

Drivers side Axle Shaft broke in two yesterday......guess I found the problem
Old 08-18-2016, 07:14 AM

I wonder how that happens?

Quick Reply: New wheel bearing noise