Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

no crank, no start 08 HHR

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2015, 04:46 PM

Unhappy no crank, no start 08 HHR

cold day. tried to jump start but apparently the cables were not in the proper position. now i have no crank and no start key is hard to turn to on position. charged battery and have lots of power. Help!
Old 01-13-2015, 04:51 PM
Platinum Member

Explain cables not in right position.....

Did you reverse polarity OR did you not have a good connection with cables??
Old 01-13-2015, 04:57 PM
Administrator

X2 please let us know ASAP to be able to assist you

Last edited by Oldblue; 01-14-2015 at 07:29 AM.
Old 01-13-2015, 04:57 PM

no crank no start

apparently the positive was on the proper spot but the ground was put on a post that is inside the fuse box. hubby took off the fuse box lid and on the left side there is a post that had some wires under it. put the cable on there rather than the proper ground which we located after there was no response.
Old 01-13-2015, 05:02 PM
Technical Moderator

Please make him read the Owner Manual. He may have done serious damage to the car, he at least blew the power steering fuse.

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/gene...s-manual-3074/
Old 01-13-2015, 06:03 PM
Technical Moderator

Marush asked via visitor message: "question: how would the power steering fuse affect the no crank?"

just type your reply to a thread into the Quick Reply box, then click "Post Quick Reply", for smiley's and such click "Go Advanced".

I didn't say power steering fuse would affect the cranking; I meant that's the least damage that could have been done. Sounds like it's worse and will require a tow to a mechanic.
Old 01-13-2015, 08:16 PM

What do u mean? OLD BLUE?

Last edited by Marush; 01-13-2015 at 08:16 PM. Reason: Add name
Old 01-13-2015, 09:37 PM

Could be that its an original battery that was finished off by the really cold temps.

This summer my battery had enough. Boosting didn't help. Trickle charger didn't help.

Buying a new battery worked for me.

Definitely go over your fuses to ensure you didn't kill any and read your manual before proceeding with another attempt at using jumper cables.
Old 01-13-2015, 11:03 PM

A little off topic but sorta still on since we are talking about batteries too.

My second younger brother put a mixture of alum and water in his deep cycle batteries he uses with his solar panels. You have to drain the sulphuric acid out first and he rinsed the battery with baking soda and water then put in the alum and water

He did this last summer in his Dodge pickup and swears that's all, just changed the acid/water for alum/water and charged it. He lives in northwest Wisconsin near where we grew up and it has been much colder with lots more snow and his little pickup has not failed to start so far all winter.

I was real skeptical about this working so I looked it up on the net and found several vid's on youtube where folks are claiming the same thing.

I have a totally dead battery for my MG that I'm thinking about trying this on.

In the really old days we used to disassemble batteries and put new plates and separators in them. We would strain the acid and reuse most of it. Naturally if the acid was too contaminated it was replaced so I can almost see how dumping an old battery and replacing the electrolyte might work.
Old 01-14-2015, 07:36 AM
Administrator

I meant ASAP not swap, sorry big fingers on an IPhone .
I'm thinking yes the PS fuse got fried and the battery is done most likely a dead cell or two, please get the battery checked out at your choice of parts store like Autozone .
If the battery needs to be replaced get the proper sized battery ask them to make sure it is fully charged and tested.
The battery is housed inside the cabin back in the spare tire well, so ensure the vent tube is connected correctly.

Quick Reply: no crank, no start 08 HHR