Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

No crank, no start

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2014, 01:22 PM

No crank, no start

I have a 2007 HHR. I left work the other morning and it took about three seconds for the starter to turn over. I went to start it last night and it won't crank. There is power to everything else(lights, radio, windows, dash display).
I checked the fuses and relays and everything seems to be working. I think the next logical step is to change the starter. Does anyone know of anything I'm missing before changing it?

Thanks!
Old 01-08-2014, 01:46 PM
Premium Member

Welcome to the site fellow Earthling. Sounds logical to me, might be the starter, or relay. Have you replaced the old battery yet, they do weird things when the battery gets weak.
Old 01-08-2014, 01:51 PM
Platinum Member

You do not state where you are. I'll assume you are in one of the states that have cold weather. Have the battery checked......sounds like it is low to me and with cold temperatures and snow covered streets, you probably had to drive slow. You might have had the headlights on, radio, heater, etc. which creates large draws from the battery. Anyway, not going into more detail. Either use an external charger, have it charged at a responsible place......and have it checked.

You might want to try this.......turn a FEW of the electricals on, then try to start the car. I bet the lighting will dim significantly.

Others will offer their suggestions.
Old 01-09-2014, 12:43 AM
Platinum Member

Agree, Before ya throw $$ at it, Battery testing is FREE.
Old 01-09-2014, 01:17 AM
Deceased

to the forum Earthling!

To echo the posts above, have your battery and charging system checked out first. If you're still running the OEM Delco battery it's on borrowed time anyway, they have a pretty predictable habit of pooping out when they go past five years of age.
Old 01-09-2014, 02:30 AM
Platinum Member

All good advice above - check the easy/cheap things first before you start throwing $'s at it.
Old 01-09-2014, 11:01 AM
Administrator

Let us know how this works out, was it the battery or the starter? it may help others!
Old 01-09-2014, 04:11 PM

When you turn the key, do you

hear a "clicking" sound?
Notice the interior lights dim?
hear anything from the rear of the car (fuel pump)?
see anything on the display?

If the first two are true then you probably need a battery -

If NOT try putting the shifter into neutral rather than park and twist the key (assuming an automatic transmission) - if it starts the switch that prevents you from engaging the starter while in gear is knackered and either needs replacement or adjustment.

Failing that, try starting it using the remote (assuming you have a remote start feature, I think they're standard but may be wrong on that) - if that works then the issue could be in your column switch OR your key encoding

If it's still dead then start investigating the expensive items, like starter motors.

I have a silly habit of starting diagnostics with the cheapest possible solution and working towards the expensive ones, although, to be honest, I seem to end up spending bucks no matter where I start ...

Cheers

Steve
Old 01-09-2014, 04:42 PM
Technical Moderator

I don't understand the logic in replacing parts out of hand, and possibly unrelated. If the battery has not been checked first, you would be wasting money, time and energy. Might as well replace a tire if you don't know what's wrong and get the same result: money down the drain and still won't start.

Your local autoparts store would be able to check your electrical system including battery, alternator and starter. For free.

No mention of any attempts at a jumpstart (following the directions in the Owner Manual).
Old 01-09-2014, 04:50 PM

well i had the same problem with my 2007 had power and no start turn the key nothing sure enough it was my starter..just throwing it out there

Quick Reply: No crank, no start