Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

No Power Whatsoever - key stuck in ignition

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2012, 06:22 PM

No Power Whatsoever - key stuck in ignition

I have no power anywhere - no lights, no dings, not even the emergency flashers will work - and now my key will not come out of the ignition, even though it is in Park it will not turn all the way "off" to remove the key. Does anyone know why this is happening? or what I need to do? I checked the fuses- all the ignition fuses (2 I think) are good.
2008 HHR LT
Old 11-18-2012, 06:33 PM

I wont be of much help, but first start at the battery, Make sure the cables are on tight, if so get a volt meter,if you dont have 1 you can get a cheap one for around 15$, I would also assume there is a Main fuse. Not sure where but Ill look in the Haynes manual I just got, hopefully one of the gear heads here pop in with better help

Rich
I dint see a main line fuse like on my MCs,, Not sure what a bad ignition switch acts like sorry
Old 11-18-2012, 06:34 PM

I imagine somebody will be around to give specifics soon. This has been discussed extensively in the past, but you being new to the forum a search probably would not work.

My bet is your battery is dead or a major fuse is blown. IIRC

The key can be removed by a plunger accessed on the button of the steering column and within the trim. I think the Owner’s Manuel has that info.
Old 11-18-2012, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by gharrison42
I have no power anywhere - no lights, no dings, not even the emergency flashers will work - and now my key will not come out of the ignition, even though it is in Park it will not turn all the way "off" to remove the key. Does anyone know why this is happening? or what I need to do? I checked the fuses- all the ignition fuses (2 I think) are good.
2008 HHR LT
Dead battery combined with the ignition switch cylinder problem?

Just my 2 cents..
Old 11-18-2012, 06:44 PM

The OP will have a tough time reaching the battery, as power is needed to open the rear hatch. There is a way around that too, but the easiest is to connect the jumper cables properly in the engine compartment to power the vehicle – FOLLOW the directions in the Owner’s Manual – the HHR is different from anything you have dealt with in the past.

Just to be clear the battery is in the rear and there are two fuse panels in the HHR. Plus one fuse next to the battery that is not documented in the Owner’s Manual.

If you do the jumping incorrectly in the engine compartment you will blow the power steering fuse. AND maybe more.

I notice you have a 2008 – they have a problem with the TPMS not working after a power failure to the receiver. This will affect the TPMS and the FOBs. But that can wait until you get the vehicle running.
Old 11-18-2012, 06:56 PM

Page 2-24 in the 2008 Owner's Manual.

http://www.chevrolet.com/content/dam..._lt_owners.pdf
Old 11-18-2012, 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by Sno White
The OP will have a tough time reaching the battery, as power is needed to open the rear hatch. There is a way around that too, but the easiest is to connect the jumper cables properly in the engine compartment to power the vehicle – FOLLOW the directions in the Owner’s Manual – the HHR is different from anything you have dealt with in the past.

Just to be clear the battery is in the rear and there are two fuse panels in the HHR. Plus one fuse next to the battery that is not documented in the Owner’s Manual.

If you do the jumping incorrectly in the engine compartment you will blow the power steering fuse. AND maybe more.

I notice you have a 2008 – they have a problem with the TPMS not working after a power failure to the receiver. This will affect the TPMS and the FOBs. But that can wait until you get the vehicle running.
Oh so there is a main line fuse ,, I thought so but didnt see one in the Haynes book.. Good to know Thanks
Old 11-18-2012, 10:21 PM

I know its not the battery-brand new 2 weeks old

not the battery, i know how to get to the key release just wondered if anyone had a clue as to the cause or of any factory screw ups like this. and forgive my ignorance what is TPMS and FOBs? and how do you search these forums? i see no search...
Old 11-18-2012, 10:31 PM
Premium Member

TPMS = Tire Pressure Monitoring System...and the FOB is the black plastic thing that has the buttons for locking/unlocking your doors (keyless entry)
Old 11-18-2012, 10:40 PM
Premium Member

"search" button is at the top of the page in the orangey/brown header

Quick Reply: No Power Whatsoever - key stuck in ignition