Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Occasional long start

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2013, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by 06burntorange
I did NOT gap the plugs. I knew that they already come gapped to the right size. I put one set of new plugs in when I bought the vehicle. Then after I changed the oil, and replaced the camshaft solenoid, and put some mile on her, I changed the plugs again just to see if anything along the way had spoiled them.
The new set of plugs did not seem to make a difference.

One other thing I might mention, my remote start does not work. Could that be related?

Otherwise, I guess it might still be fuel delivery. Unless there could be something causing weak spark.
If it worked before, maybe. Check your brake lights, could cause the remote start prob. RS won't work if anything is wrong with the car.

Does the CEL light come on in "test" when you turn the key to run, not start? Thinking maybe got a CEL, just don't know it.
Old 08-13-2013, 10:40 PM

I am not sure what CEL light is, but I will look into it tomorrow.

I have another hypothesis, if the CEL light doesnt lead to something.

First, my understanding is that the fuel system is pressurized, correct?

So, perhaps the pressure is slowly bleeding out? This makes me think of fuel injectors seals.

Maybe an injector seal is leaking out pressure after the car is turned off. Then it requires the one second to pressurize the system again, before starting.

Sound plausible?
Old 08-13-2013, 11:31 PM

The only fuel injector seals are external, so gas would be leaking into the engine compartment and you would smell it. Besides, the fuel pump gives a quick burst just before you start the engine, you should hear it hum as you turn the key.
Old 08-14-2013, 12:16 PM

Since you changed locations..might try to pull the ECM fuse for a few minutes and let the ECM go thru a recal and reset itself.....free. Fuse #42 I believe in the under hood fuse box...
Old 08-14-2013, 01:44 PM

CheckEngineLight. the red engine shaped light on the dashboard. Also known as a MIL, MalfunctionIndicatorLight (if I remember the alphabet soup correctly).
Old 08-21-2013, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by IgottaWoody
Since you changed locations..might try to pull the ECM fuse for a few minutes and let the ECM go thru a recal and reset itself.....free. Fuse #42 I believe in the under hood fuse box...
I think we may be onto something here.
I say this because I was helping my niece fix her car, which apparently has camshaft/crankshaft position sensor issues too. Anyway, there is a sequence that can "relearn" the ECU by turning key and pressing accel peddle.

So hopefully pulling the fuses for 10 seconds will accomplish the same thing.
I pulled both #42 and #43.
It makes sense that if I replaces the camshaft position sensor and the solenoid that the ECU might need to recalibrate.

One other question: Is there a crankshaft position sensor on this car? and should I worry about it if there is no CEL or MIL or SES light?
Old 08-21-2013, 01:56 PM

CEL(CheckEngineLight) & MIL (MalfunctionIndicatorLight) & SES ServiceEngineSoon) Are interchangeable. They alert the DRIVER that there is problem that a TECH should look for.

Not all faults will set a light, but may set a stored code, it's "magic" of computer logic.

Most if not all do have a crankshaft position sensor. If my memory serves it lives down near the oil filter.
Old 11-07-2014, 11:16 AM

Solved

Updating this post...

Ok, so the issue I was trying to diagnose was hard start, or what I called long start. There were no codes and no CEL.

Finally a code showed up P0455. This is for the Evap Purge Solenoid.
It turns out that the Evap Purge Solenoid is designed to capture vapors from the gas tank and input them into the intake. If the solenoid does not close all the way, it will allow fuel vapor to collect into the intake. So then when you start it, you get the hard start. (Wont start on first turn of the key)
One way to clear the intake before starting is to press the accelerator, as in what you do for a "flooded" condition.
I also noticed the occasional "ghost" check gas cap message on the dash.

So all that time went by and the Purge solenoid did not fail completely to cause a CEL, but enough to cause the starting problem.

If anyone else has a hard start issue, or wont start on the first turn of the key, suspect your Evap Purge Solenoid.

Got one from O'Reilly parts (BWD) for $23. (pn - CP561)

Last edited by 06burntorange; 11-10-2014 at 08:07 AM. Reason: correction
Old 11-07-2014, 11:23 AM
Platinum Member

Good on the update, and a final solution to the problem.

Small correction: PO455 is actually P0455 in case anyone tries a search (it's a ZERO rather than the letter "O").
Old 11-13-2014, 12:04 PM

Oops...spoke too soon

Well, after almost a week now, the CEL came back on.
I also had another check gas cap message right before it.

So I went back to the shop and the error code comes up as P0455...again!

I had a second check done at O'reilly's and the print out said some have resolved this issue with replacement of the Leak Detection Pump.
Is there such a thing on the car, or is this referring to an external leak detection?
Any thoughts on this?

Should I try to track this down or bite the bullet and have the dealer do a leak/smoke check?

Quick Reply: Occasional long start