Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

oil below throttel body in the intake manifold

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2015, 07:42 PM
JCC

oil below throttel body in the intake manifold

Ref: 2008 HHR, 2.2, auto. trans., Throttle Body!

About 90 days ago I was checking the throttle body and found oil had been coming through the PCV value HOSE, which runs from the value cover to the throttle body (TB). Some of the oil had dried /deposited on the wall of the TB. The inside of the HOSE was wet from the oil but was clear through it.

Today I pulled the TB off and I found NO more oil in the TB itself... but did see small amounts of oil inside the intake manifold. It was wet all over, down in the manifold area below the TB as far as I could see, throughout the intake manifold. Some / few corners had small drops of oil in them?

As only air should be in these areas... and the oil was coming from or had come from the PCV hose / value cover area... has anyone run into this problem before and what cure did you find/ make?

Any ideals why it did it then and not now? I can think only of driving at speeds above 60 MPH for over 2 hours at a time.

Looking at the inside of the value cover it looks like the PCV hose nipple just runs straight into the cover without any guard to keep oil from being sucked into it.

Thanks for all replies and help... JC
Old 09-02-2015, 08:23 PM
Technical Moderator

It's called a crankcase breather/PCV. Unless oil is disappearing from the crankcase at an alarming rate just relax.

The manifold acts as a sort of catch can.
Old 09-02-2015, 11:29 PM

It's normal for small amounts of oil to be picked up as the crank case vapors are passed through the system.

Weather,humidity, how old the oil is all play a part of how much oil gets into the intake.
Old 09-03-2015, 12:05 AM
Deceased

Ditto to posts #2 & #3, unless it's a huge amount of oil, and/or you're losing oil on the dipstick between checks...don't fret.

Back in the "Olden Days", that is before the mid 60's engines had "Road Draft" tubes that evacuated the oil mist/fumes from the crankcase and just dumped them into the airflow under the car.