Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

oil change- now oil and t/C lights on, rough shift

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2008, 07:22 PM

the rough shifting is a safety mechanism when the traction control gets turned off by problem codes and the traction control lights turns on...I know from expierence no biggie there but when the oil can lights up and no oil in the engine thats a major problem. Sounds like they knew about the problem my guess is that they forgot to put the oil plug on or didnt tighten it all the way
Old 06-12-2008, 06:45 AM
Banned

Take the car back to them and tell them to replace the engine immediately. I would take a Sharpie industrial marker or a grease pencil and put a random mark somewhere on the head or block that you can easily find later just to make sure they actually did it. No engine can run without oil that long in 8-10 miles of STL traffic without sustaining some kind of damage.

That actually happened to a friend of my Dad's back in '95 or '96. Had the oil changed for the first time on his brand-new Beretta Z26 at JiffyLube. They forgot to put in oil, he drove across the parking lot and the oil light never went out. Sump was dry as a bone, he got a new engine.
Old 06-12-2008, 05:38 PM

my husband talked to the service manager today. He was told that they checked the engine out and it's ok, that there was enough oil in the bottom to keep it from getting damaged. He said they dropped the oil pan and were able to completely check the engine out that way. The engine light was reset and it's ready to go. They said it wouldn't affect the warranty. My husband is going to the dealership after work tonight to talk to them.
I called Chevrolet and lodged a complaint.
I hate the aveo. I want my HHR back.
vickie
Old 06-12-2008, 06:02 PM

Note: when ever an oil light or "oil can" light comes on. STOP and check the oil. Even if you're on a freeway pull over. You're luck the thing didn't siege up on you. Bad oil pump will also cause the light to come on.
Old 06-12-2008, 08:21 PM

they are balking on the idea of a new engine. They also want their rental car back, since they say my car is sitting there ready for pickup. I will take the rental car back tomorrow, since I don't want them to start charging me for it. The service manager told my husband he'll have to talk to the manager, who wasn't there at the time.
But, if they were to agree to put a new engine in- how would you know it's new, and not a used or remanufactured one? I'd hate to cut my nose off to spite my face, and give up my engine with 30,000 miles and end up with one with 50,000 miles on it (don't really trust them at this point).
Old 06-12-2008, 08:41 PM
Founding Member

What was determined by them on why no oil was in the engine? Did the filter come loose? Did the drain plug come loose? Or did they just forget to put it in?

There is no way enough oil was in the pan if the tech added 5 quarts. 5 quarts would be completely empty.
Old 06-12-2008, 08:47 PM

both the tech that came to my workplace to check it and the service consultant admitted that no oil was put in the engine.
Old 06-12-2008, 08:54 PM

That is a big mistake on their part. And I wouldn't settle for anything less than a new engine.
Old 06-12-2008, 09:27 PM

Call the 800 number and tell them you want a NEW engine put in at a different dealer or a warranty on the motor and all parts such as a 6 year and 100,000 miles to start at the end of the 36/36,000 you already have. Service at any chevy dealer. Get any and all deals you make in ink!
I wouldnt trust them to do any more work on my car.

I hate the fact you are having to stress over a stupid/unexcusable mistake. I hope everything works out in your best interest Vickie
debbie
Old 06-12-2008, 09:40 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by fastdogs
my husband talked to the service manager today. He was told that they checked the engine out and it's ok, that there was enough oil in the bottom to keep it from getting damaged. He said they dropped the oil pan and were able to completely check the engine out that way. The engine light was reset and it's ready to go. They said it wouldn't affect the warranty. My husband is going to the dealership after work tonight to talk to them.
I called Chevrolet and lodged a complaint.
I hate the aveo. I want my HHR back.
vickie
There's no way they could have checked the main bearings, crank journals, cam bearings, and lifters up top without completely tearing the engine down. They just don't want to pay for a new engine because it's NOT a warranty-eligible claim. THEY have to lose the money on it--not Chevy.

Get the general manager on the phone and tell them they have a week to schedule the replacement or you're hiring counsel. It's that simple. There's plenty of attorneys in STL that'll get you a new engine in five minutes and make the dealer pay for everything.

Only way to tell if it's a new engine is by looking at the part # and making sure it's the one for a new Goodwrench engine.

Quick Reply: oil change- now oil and t/C lights on, rough shift