Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Oil Cooler

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2011, 09:01 AM

Andyman,

The cooler is an oil - water heat exchanger. There are 3 bolts that clamp in onto the block. Check to see if they are loose first. The seals for the oil passages are an o-ring type, but not round (GM special). I've built a few LSJ EcoTecs that use the same unit. I actually ran into one that a dealer rebuilt and used too long bolts that bottomed in the holes before clamping tight. HA!
Old 01-24-2011, 01:43 AM
Platinum Member

Very Interesting, thanks Joe...
Old 01-24-2011, 02:40 AM

Thanks Joe this is great info
Old 02-11-2013, 09:39 PM

Red face oil cooler

i've bought my hhr in june of 05 have 103k miles and this is the second thing im gonna replace on my car, the first was the alternator. needs o rings on the oil cooler it's been leaking oil and my driveway is getting to be an eyesore.. it's pretty tight in there but i'll manage. i'll let you know how it goes tomorrow morning.
Old 02-11-2013, 10:39 PM

Am very interested on how you make out. I was told you will have to drop/lower the transmission to get to one of those bolts. How did you determine it needs the "O Rings" vs replacing the unit?
Old 02-12-2013, 01:10 PM

oil cooler

it just leaks. im @ that point now, where i want to avoid dropping the tranny.
Old 02-13-2013, 05:03 PM

oil cooler/TCM

I couldn't replace the o rings, cause i couldnt take the bottom bolt out, looks as though i do have to drop the tranny, but i ran into some trouble, when i started putting everything back, ( i didn't disconnect the negative on my battery) and when i tried to put the TCM and PCM back the TCM hit the Positive post (i felt like the DUMBEST jerk on the face of this planet). well to make a long story short, the cluster on my car was flatlined on temp, on the trip odometers, odometer wouldnt move an inch, car didn't shift, i immediately knew it was related to the TCM , so i called the dealer and told me it as 160 bucks for the TCM and that it had to be reprogrammed to the tune of 80 bucks. since it was late i decided to wait next morning (today) i called a local Junk yard and the guy told me 75 bucks and that i had to reprogram it and that he would give me the number of a guy who would do it cheaper than the dealer, so i decided to call another junkyard i did and found it for 50 bucks and i asked him if i had to reprogram it and he said, listen im gonna let you in on a little secret, we have the obligation to tell you that you have to program it, but in reality you don't, just buy it and plug it, it should work, so i said THANX for the info. ( i wanted to kiss his forehead) anyway he gave me one and said try it if it doesn't work i have 3 more,so i get home plugged it in and VOILA! GOOD AS NEW, everything started working again. anyway this is the way you find out things by making mistakes. just wanted to share it with you guys in case you run into something like this you know what to do and don't get SCREWED over your hard earned money. as for my original problem it still there i just have to take time over the weekend and find someone who can help me on telling me how to lift the tranny. "KNOWLEDGE IS POWER"
Old 08-12-2014, 09:42 PM

Does anyone know the part # for the o rings on the oil cooler
Old 08-13-2014, 05:15 AM

Welcome to the site

Is this what your looking for?
Fig number
429) part number 12581508
430) part number 12581509
Attached Images  
Old 12-17-2014, 08:57 AM

I just replaced my seals. IT CAN BE DONE WITHOUT DROPPING/REMOVING THE TRANSMISSION! You are going to have to take your time and be creative to remove & install the lower front bolt on the oil cooler. 1st-remove the hose off the thermostat housing. You might have to unbolt the 2 bolts in the housing(because if it has factory clamps they are hard to remove)2.After the the housing is unbolted you can then PULL THE HOSE & HOUSING OUT FROM THE FRONT & SWING IT TO THE SIDE.

/Users/tonywebb/Desktop/Pictures/oil cooler.jpg

This will give you MORE ROOM to work and make it much easier to get at the bolts. I will add a few pictures of the tools I used to get the front bottom bolt out.

ALSO: I did same thing as the above poster-FRIED A COMPUTER! PLEASE DISCONNECT THE BATTERY IN THE REAR-BEFORE YOU DO ANYTHING!

Last edited by donbrew; 01-23-2015 at 08:24 PM.

Quick Reply: Oil Cooler