Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Oil Leak after Solenoid Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2021, 07:06 AM

Oil Leak after Solenoid Replacement

Hi all,

I have tried searching through the site but I have not had much luck. I have a 2008 2.4L Chevy HHR. I got codes for my solenoids and since I have done the repair before, I bought new ones and figured I could change them out. The repair went fine, I still used the tutorial to ensure I was doing it correctly. As soon as I finished and turned the car on, all the oil leaked out of my car. Horrified, I tried searching why and it said the seal may be bad. It said to put the old solenoids back in and if it stopped, the parts were the issue. I put the old parts back in, cleaned the spill, put oil back in the car and tested it. No oil leaked out, the car ran fine but the check engine light codes were still there. I figured the parts I used were bad so a few days later I went and bought new solenoids that had seals from an auto store. I did the repair again and the car did not leak any oil this time, until an hour later when I went to get it aligned after driving around. I cannot find any information that will tell me where the leak is coming from, I assume it is from the camshaft. Is there a seal or anything that I have possibly missed that needs to be replaced? Is it the valve cover gasket?
Old 12-13-2021, 07:21 AM
Administrator

Depending on which cam solenoids you purchased and installed, it could be the seals that that manufacturer supplied.
if you installed the solenoid dry the o ring might have torn, I have always used the pair of AC Delco solenoids, never had a leak.
doubtful the valve cover gasket is the source of your oil leak.
Old 12-13-2021, 08:03 AM

Thank you for letting me know, the funny part is that the ones that currently work are the cheap ones from Amazon. I will purchase the AC Delco ones and install them, fingers crossed it doesn't happen again but I will be careful so that the o-ring doesn't tear if that was the issue
Old 12-13-2021, 08:14 AM
Administrator

I wipe the o rings with either engine oil or white lithium grease, to help the o ring slide into place.
Old 12-13-2021, 08:28 AM

Thanks Oldblue! I have engine oil and I will use that when I replace them later. I should be good to go with this advice, I'll update if there are any other issues
Old 12-13-2021, 09:00 AM

You can't see where the oil is spraying out? My guess would be that you failed to seat them all of the way in or left the O-rings off.

The flange should sit flush with the valve cover and the O-ring should be in the hole, not above it.

Old 12-13-2021, 10:06 AM
Administrator

Here’s a detailed how to install

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/how-...13-14-a-28779/
Old 12-13-2021, 10:48 AM

From what I could see, the oil came out right up underneath the engine, towards the front. I could see a drip from the bottom, but there was no oil in the engine inside when examined. I will double check to make sure the flange is flush with the valve cover. Thank you for the detailed install as well oldblue, I'm going to use that and double check everything. Apparently all the stores in my area have the exhaust or intake but not both for AC Delco so I will likely wait to repair it until tomorrow. I'm convinced it has to be operator error so I will take the advice you guys have given me in the thread. Thanks so much! My HHR is at 190K and I would really like to keep it. I haven't had many issues besides scheduled maintenance
Old 12-13-2021, 11:32 AM

I have done a bunch of these replacements.

The last bit that the solenoid goes down into the engine is the hardest to get in, especially if the O-ring was dry. Donbrew is correct, it's easy to think the solenoid is all the way in when it's not. The last bit of travel is when the O-ring drops into the bore and seals. Tightening the bolt won't pull it in because the bolt is offset so far to one side.

Lube the O-ring, and then when it's in almost all the way rotate the solenoid slightly left and right while pushing down and you should feel the final "pop" (slight pop) as it seats fully.

You either damaged the O-ring or didn't push it in all the way. I think you didn't have it in all the way.

Steve
Old 12-13-2021, 12:06 PM

I don't know how "all of the oil" can exit the engine and not show obvious signs of where it is leaking. If it is leaking around one of the VVT valves there would be a huge puddle of oil in the valve cover. Or, the engine is incredibly filthy with crud an inch thick.

Actually, the flange fits directly to the head through a hole in the valve cover. So I guess it is possible that someone would remove the valve cover then replace the VVT valves then replace the valve cover in the wrong position causing a leak from a bent cover.

Quick Reply: Oil Leak after Solenoid Replacement