Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Ordered new door actuator, how can I keep the door shut in the mean time?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2018, 06:21 PM

Ordered new door actuator, how can I keep the door shut in the mean time?

I've been lurking around on the forums for a few weeks looking for info on why my door wouldn't stay shut. Basically, same thing as most other posts, nothing new, passenger door wouldn't stay shut all of a sudden for some reason, turned out to be the actuator. I ordered a new one, and in the meantime used a post I found here and took the actuator apart and lubed it and got it was working again. So I canceled the order. Big mistake I guess, it's not working again, and no luck with fixing it a second time, and I had to drive home with the door tied shut last night.

Long story short, I need advice for a better, more inconspicuous way to keep the door shut for the next week or so, while I wait on the new one I ordered.
Old 11-10-2018, 08:45 PM

Hi led, to the forums!!

Which part is the problem?
Old 11-10-2018, 10:46 PM

Thanks! I always find good info here when I have a problem! The problem part was #14. It will latch sometimes, but can be easily pulled open. Even shutting the driver door or back hatch too hard, will fling it open. I took it apart last time, following a different post here, and managed to get it to latch again for a couple weeks, but no dice this time. I've ordered a new one, but I'm trying to figure out a way to get the door to stay shut until it gets here Tuesday or Wednesday.
Old 11-11-2018, 09:16 AM
Technical Moderator

Blue tape, but read the directions, some become permanent after a day or 2.
Old 11-11-2018, 02:03 PM

Had the same problem.
Used regular grey duct tape for a week or so in the hot Florida sun.
Some of the glue remained on the car when it was pulled off, but alcohol removed that easily with no paint damage.
Hint: If you leave a window open a bit, slamming a door or hatch shut won't blow it open, The air has to have a place to escape.
Blue tape is not a problem, it replaced the original white masking tape expressly for the problems of being impossible to remove after day or two, especially if it saw sunlight.
Old 11-11-2018, 02:41 PM

It pops open even when locked?
Old 11-11-2018, 02:54 PM
Technical Moderator

Some blue tape turns permanent after 48 hours. read the directions.

Believe me! The hard way.
Old 11-11-2018, 04:36 PM

Even with the door locked, it doesn't stay closed. The clasp closes when it hits the catch, and the mechanism "locks" but it doesn't stay that way, and just the slightest pull will undo it. Tape the door shut?
Old 11-11-2018, 04:43 PM
Technical Moderator

clean the road dirt off use long strips.
Old 11-11-2018, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by donbrew
Some blue tape turns permanent after 48 hours. read the directions.

Believe me! The hard way.
If you get the bargain basement crap it might, but have never seen it happen.
Would like to see your manufacturers instructions.

We use at least 20 rolls every week and never ever have had a problem in any hot temp or direct sunlight or longevity
Some is left on for a couple months at a time in 90°+ temps with no problems.
This job used over 100 rolls so far.

From 3M
3M Scotch Blue Painters Tape is a type of masking tape that removes cleanly without adhesive transfer or surface damage for up to 14 days - even when exposed to direct sunlight. It is a medium adhesion masking tape that is ideal for painted walls and trim, woodwork, glass and metal (not for use on lacquer or faux finishes). Use Painters' Tape to mask off areas while applying paint, varnish, stain, and many other finishes. Flexible crepe backing allows for exceptional conformability to semi-smooth surfaces.
If you've ever used cheap masking tape on a project and left it for several days or weeks or months, and then tried to remove the dried on adhesive, you'll really appreciate this tape. Professionals use 3M tapes for their high quality and consistency from roll to roll. Also known as Long-Mask or Blue Tape. Painters' Tape is available in 4 sizes, 3/4", 1", 1 1/2", and 2" wide.

Quick Reply: Ordered new door actuator, how can I keep the door shut in the mean time?