Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Overheating

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2006, 10:49 PM

Angry Overheating

My HHR is back with the dealer due to an overheating problem.

I've had it for two weeks. A couple of days ago it was very hot, 102. I noticed that when I turned off the engine the electric fan continued to run for a little while. I thought that because of the excessive heat, this was a safety feature. It did this three or four times in the last two days. I had not noticed this previously.

Early this morning, I had to make an airport run before daylight. The outdoor temp was in the low 60's. This is about a 35 mile round trip. I noticed the temp gauge was showing the engine getting pretty warm. It was not in the danger zone but getting close. Just as I pulled into my driveway, the warning light came on. I shut off the engine and the fan continued to run for a while.

A little laster I called my salesman. He spoke with the service manager and they had not seen this problem on any HHR before. He sent over a wrecker to bring it to the dealer because they didn't want to take any chances. He also sent over a new Equinox for me to drive (another reason to love my HHR).

I suppose I will hear something from them tomorrow. I have to say I am proud of my dealer thus far for their customer satisfaction.

Has anyone else experienced or heard of similar problems on an HHR? Any guesses as to what is causing this?
Old 06-08-2006, 10:55 PM

Well it sounds like the fan is working. Maybe your coolant is low or not the right strangth. Mybe the thermostat is not opening up. Your rad might be full of bug on the front side, but only having it that long I can't see that. Keep us posted when you find out what it was.
Old 06-08-2006, 11:00 PM

Thumbs up Overheating problem

Today it was 110 here in Lake Havasu. Az., I was running around town all day with the air on and did not experience any heating problems. When I pulled in the garage, the fan turned off with the engine I guess because I could not hear it. Sounds like you have a great dealer and I am sure they will get to the problem quickly. good luck on getting back on the road quickly.
Old 06-08-2006, 11:19 PM

no problems here with overheating with 100+ temps
Old 06-09-2006, 09:39 AM

Just got the call from my salesman. The service manager said that the thermostat seemed faulty and they replaced it. They are running all the diagnostics on it now and will test everything. I hope that's the only problem.

I am very impressed with customer satisfaction and communication. I appreciate the Equinox but I want my HHR back!
Old 06-09-2006, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by TxSkyPilot
Just got the call from my salesman. The service manager said that the thermostat seemed faulty and they replaced it. They are running all the diagnostics on it now and will test everything. I hope that's the only problem.

I am very impressed with customer satisfaction and communication. I appreciate the Equinox but I want my HHR back!
What did you think of the equinox overall? Wife is thinking of getting one
Old 06-09-2006, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by TxSkyPilot

I hope your HHR comes out OK, having a faulty thermostat isn't all that uncommon. At least it was discovered early and with luck no other problems will occur as a result. Good luck.
Old 06-09-2006, 11:06 AM

No overheating here.. average temp is 68 F , some days was 84 F
coolant temp is about 187 - 194 F
Old 06-09-2006, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by dbarberaz
What did you think of the equinox overall? Wife is thinking of getting one
Forget the Equinox and get her a Dodge CHARGER!!!!

Ng
Old 06-09-2006, 05:35 PM

I just came from the dealer. Bad news. They replaced the thermostat. The service manager said he wanted to run it, cool it down and run it again to make sure everything was fine before he returned it to me. Bear in mind it has about 300 miles on it. When they went through this process they heard distressing engine noises and shut it down. He told me they were going to go through the engine for further inspection.

I am a bit concerned. The SM told me if he could not restore the engine to new condition, they would put a new engine in it for me. How do you folks feel about this? Would you be stubborn and say, "I want a new engine, I don't want to take a chance down the road on this"? Would you at some point invoke the "lemon law?"

He did tell me that he contacted some guy at GM about this issue to see if it had cropped up in other HHR's and was told that this was the first one he had heard about.

About the Equinox: It's okay, not nearly as cool as my Victory Red HHR. This one is pretty stock and is that gold/champain color. There is a little more leg room than the HHR. My knee doesn't lean against the console. The seats are comfortable. The pick up and power seem adequate. The windows are huge and not tinted very darkly. It has a lot of plastic and I don't care for the quality of the cloth seats. I wouldn't buy this one but a nicer model might be better.

Quick Reply: Overheating