Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

P0010, P0011 Code-Replace Solenoids, still have the same symptom

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2018, 03:17 PM

P0010, P0011 Code-Replace Solenoids, still have the same symptom

Hello everyone, this is my first post on this great and helpful forum. We bought a 2011 HHR LT in late October. Never ever thought about owning one, but saw this for sale, drove it and loved it. We bought from a lady who was storing it at her mechanic friend's shop. When I test drove it the check engine light came on. Later that day I called and made an offer with the caveat whatever was throwing the CEL be fixed first. We agreed. She said her mechanic had diagnosed a bad intake cam sensor and recommended replacing both the intake and exhaust. A week after owning the car, the CEL was back on. Took it to an auto parts store for a readout. The kid behind the counter told me he was an ASE GM mechanic. The codes were P0010 and P0011, the intake cam solenoid. I told him how the mechanic claim to have just fixed it. The kid looked under the air box and said the solenoids didn't look new or like they had ever been replaced. I went to the mechanic and he insisted he had replaced them, but when digging in the garbage right in front of me he couldn't find the old parts. Either he was lying or he changed the wrong parts?!?! Anyway, a couple days later the CEL went off. There were never any noticeable symptoms before or after so I didn't give it another thought.

Fast forward to a week before Christmas. CEL is back on. Took it to the auto parts store and code red P0010 and P0011. Now though, there was a symptom: after the car is running for 15 minutes or so, at idle or stop signs the engine seems to pulse. Like huffing and puffing after going up a flight of stairs. RPMs go from about 750 to maybe 900. Real quick. You can feel the car physically move a bit, back and forth. Otherwise the car runs fine and starts right up. Just happens with warm engine in idle and not every time. I decided I better fix it. By now I had read the fantastic instructions on this site for replacing the solenoids as well as watched a couple youtube videos. So, today I swapped them out. What better way to spend Chistmas day? Very easy job, thank you HHR Network! However, when I took it for a test drive, the same symptom appeared after about 15 minutes. No CEL, but that could be forthcoming, right? Any ideas on where to turn to next will be appreciated. This is an awesome car. One I never really considered but now am so glad I have it. I want to keep it in best condition. Thanks.
Old 12-25-2018, 03:50 PM
Platinum Member

Congrats - they are a nice car.
Did you disconnect the battery for about 5 mins or so, during or after you replaced the solenoids? and when you put it all back together did you plug the MAF sensor back into the intake runner? That is a way too common error, most of us have made (double check to make sure it is properly plugged in).
Old 12-25-2018, 04:59 PM
Platinum Member

Camshaft sensors and camshaft solenoids are 2 different parts. Sounds like that mechanic replaced the sensors, which is a common mistake when trying to fix the P0010, P0011 codes.

As far as your problem, the surging, idle thing may be a different issue than the solenoids. I'm dealing with a recurrent P0010 , P0011 code. Haven't noticed any of that idle stuff with mine.
Check the things whopper mentioned. How many miles on this car ? It could need the MAF sensor or throttle body cleaned.
Old 12-25-2018, 07:18 PM
Technical Moderator

I bet that somebody either broke the MAF connector or forgot it. You can't take the air box off without disconnecting it.
Old 12-26-2018, 08:18 AM

I did take off the MAF sensor from the air box and felt I had it secured back on. I'll double check of course. I disconnected the battery before starting the work and reconnected after I had the air box back on and the tools put away. The has a lot of miles 152,600. It was a daily commuter for several years for a guy who kept all the repair records. He took very good care of it. Last night the CEL came back on. I'll have it read again. Fireman, you may be right; the idle issue could be unrelated to the CEL codes. Thanks everyone.
Old 12-26-2018, 08:36 AM
Technical Moderator

If it still is P0010 & P0011 There is most likely a wire problem since one is for the circuit and one is for performance.
Old 12-26-2018, 11:58 AM
Administrator

Welcome to the site, for those codes

https://www.obd-codes.com/p0010

https://www.obd-codes.com/p0011

we see that loose connections or wires damaged can cause the problem, I also note under P0011 that camshaft timing could be off, so in the dossier for the service, do you see anything about the timing chain being changed ?

Old 12-27-2018, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by Oldblue
Welcome to the site, for those codes

https://www.obd-codes.com/p0010

https://www.obd-codes.com/p0011

we see that loose connections or wires damaged can cause the problem, I also note under P0011 that camshaft timing could be off, so in the dossier for the service, do you see anything about the timing chain being changed ?

I found an invoice from a Michigan Chevy dealer in Oct 2014. Mileage was 69,293. The owner must have had some extended warranty as there is no charge listed for any of the work. Owner's complaint was the engine makes a noise on cold start, like a diesel. Note, I am not experiencing that symptom.
Here is the technician's description: Loose timing chain 4064230 3.70 cam actuator making noise on cold start. Removed cam cover and found timing chain was loose. Replaced both cam actuators and installed chain kit. Changed oil and road tested after repair.
List of Parts:
12598014 Gasket kit
24435052 Front cover gasket
12635447 Chain package-complete chain drive, tensioner, 3 guides and chain (hadwritten $96.10 by this description, yet as I stated above, under the total billing is no charge)
11588844 Bolt
12621505 Actuator (in handwriting $80 Cam Phaser)
11589123 Bolt
12605566 Filter
19293000 Oil
Old 12-27-2018, 01:59 PM
Technical Moderator

100,000 mile drive train warranty. Check the wires to the solenoids.
Old 12-27-2018, 02:29 PM
Administrator

100,000 miles or 5 years, which ever came first.

ok, so they changed the timing chain already, it looks like that included the new style tensioner.
hiw many miles are on the HHR now?

this shows what was in the kit, notice no balance shaft chain or guides,
based on mileage since it was replaced , I’d spend a day and a couple of bucks and swap out both chains.

Quick Reply: P0010, P0011 Code-Replace Solenoids, still have the same symptom