Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

P0017 Cam Position has ne stumped

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2018, 04:09 PM

Question P0017 Cam Position has ne stumped

2008 2.4 HHR
Fresh rebuild including piston rings, main and rod bearings, both timing sets, full refurbishment of cylinder head, etc. Primed oil pump and fired engine up without issue. Ran it in for about 3 hours looking for leaks and issues. Changed oil and topped off coolant and test drove. All still good. Contacted owner and had him pick it up. 2 days later he contacts me about a glowing SES light and a loss of power. I drive to him and pull a P0017 code. I didn't have any replacement sensors on me so only reset the code. To my surprise, idle was back to perfect and also drove perfect again. Left him and again, 2 days later same issue. I replaced the exhaust camshaft position with one out of a fully operational 2.4 HHR because local dealership was out of stock and customer didn't want aftermarket. Cleared codes again and restarted engine. Again ran great for few days and then repeating the symptoms yet again.

Pulled valve cover and timing cover to remove and reinstall chain. Also removed and inspected the timing actuators. Prior to the rebuild, the screens on the actuators were caked with metal debris from the failed engine. I cleaned them thoroughly prior to reinstalling and still appear clean now.

Restart engine and all great again. 2 days later light on and power loss.

So my next and only play is to replaces the timing actuators. Perhaps the cleaning process or the solvent I used damaged them. I know the code is P0017 Crankshaft Position (CKP)-Exhaust Camshaft Position (CMP) Correlation and not actuator, but maybe its getting bad intel from the actuator?

Any help is appreciated. And to be clear, when I say clear codes and start engine and all is good, I actually mean great. The engine idles smoothly, accelerates strong, and has no hint of a problem.
Old 01-25-2018, 05:01 PM

check your timing chain, bet it is a tooth off.

Did you install a new tensioner, and set it correctly?

It rarely means anything other than a loose or jumped chain. It means that the cam shaft sensor and the crankshaft sensor are reading different timing positions, not that either sensor is bad.

Old 01-25-2018, 05:11 PM
Administrator

There are several things to recheck and confirm. Such as retorque the balancer bolt, triple check that timing chain. Time to not worry about it runs great then a few days later... but physically check these , the list is in here

https://www.obd-codes.com/p0017
Old 01-25-2018, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by Oldblue
There are several things to recheck and confirm. Such as retorque the balancer bolt, triple check that timing chain. Time to not worry about it runs great then a few days later... but physically check these , the list is in here

https://www.obd-codes.com/p0017
Yes I redid the the timing chain. Yes I replaced the tensioner. I understand it's a communication between crankshaft position sensor and camshaft position sensor. My question is of timing is off a tooth, wouldn't it set code immediately? Why does it wait for days/miles to set and cause issue. Made it 40 miles last time.
Old 01-25-2018, 07:54 PM

Here is my wild guess : the exhaust "phaser" is shot.
Old 01-25-2018, 08:09 PM

Did you calibrate the crankshaft sensor? Replace the Exhaust VVT valve?

Here is some more:

Old 01-25-2018, 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by donbrew
Did you calibrate the crankshaft sensor? Replace the Exhaust VVT valve?

Here is some more:

Case learn was performed. Neither VVT valve was replaced. Neither showing a need to
Old 01-25-2018, 08:23 PM

Cheaper than the actuator.
Old 01-26-2018, 08:43 AM
Administrator

I’m thinking basics, like is that balancer bolt torqued?
Are the connections to the Solenoids tight , are the Solenoids in good condition and I dare ask on the correct cam?
I checked my timing chain three times , found the exhaust cam out 1st time, crankshaft off by 1 tooth the 2nd time, it ran great , but displayed the code after a little run time.
Old 01-26-2018, 10:11 AM

I will remove the timing chain again on Monday and inspect vs another new chain. I will count links and confirm that the chain is marked correctly. I have had one in the past marked wrong.Thank you all for your input. I am just so confused on why the symptoms delay in showing up.

Quick Reply: P0017 Cam Position has ne stumped