Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Plunger For Column Lock Release

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2016, 06:24 PM

Plunger For Column Lock Release

So I just had the common ignition key stuck issue with my 2010 HHR like everyone else had. So I'm following the owners manual to press the plunger and hold while turn the key to off. However, here's the hold up I have.

Name:  Ignition_zps8mz4yvd8.jpg
Views: 1640
Size:  112.7 KB

In this diagram, when it says "Remove the cover from the bottom of the steering column", is it actually saying I need to unscew the entire steering column cover off, or just the little "hatch" that's underneath (pictured below)? I assume it's the later.

Name:  IMG_20160926_1819591_zpshh0kp1ti.jpg
Views: 886
Size:  88.1 KB

In that case, how would I know which thing inside is the plunger? Is there a particular texture I need to find? I'm worried about screwing up the wiring, airbag, or whatever in there trying to find something I can't see.

I apologize if I can't read the diagram well enough, but it doesn't look "exactly" 100% what I see.

Note - It is an automatic.

Last edited by Slaughts; 09-26-2016 at 06:25 PM. Reason: Noting transmission.
Old 09-26-2016, 06:50 PM
Administrator

Then it would be easier to see if you remove the bottom cover.
Old 09-26-2016, 06:58 PM

The drawing is pretty clear, just pop off the door. Then fish around until you feel something that can be pushed. I think it's that black spot in your pic, that's where the figure is aimed.

The only time my key ever got stuck was when my battery was dead.

Have you seen this fix?
https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/how-...uck-fix-52950/
Old 09-26-2016, 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by Oldblue
Then it would be easier to see if you remove the bottom cover.
Of course, but I did not see anything telling me what socket or any of that I'd need to remove the entire cover.
Old 09-26-2016, 07:16 PM

Seriously, that drawing looks to you like they removed the whole shroud? And the arrow is pointing at what? A small cover that is missing in the next drawing.
Old 09-26-2016, 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by donbrew
Seriously, that drawing looks to you like they removed the whole shroud? And the arrow is pointing at what? A small cover that is missing in the next drawing.
Ok fine, I'm a dumb ass.

Look, I'm at a loss okay? Nothing is pointing to the battery being drained and the fuses are fine. The normal procedure to get your key out when the steering lock kicks in doesn't fix it. I've been digging my finger in that hole for the past 20 minutes to feel for a plunger, I can't find it. I'm absolutely sorry that I don't have the mechanical parts of this assembly imprinted in my brain to just know okay?
Old 09-26-2016, 07:36 PM

But you can see the pictures and I did provide a link in post #3.

And I believe that a good search here may prove an extended warranty is in effect for the problem.

This is another link: https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/gm-r...14632-a-52498/
Old 10-15-2020, 03:34 AM

Originally Posted by Slaughts
So I just had the common ignition key stuck issue with my 2010 HHR like everyone else had. So I'm following the owners manual to press the plunger and hold while turn the key to off. However, here's the hold up I have.

Attachment 22391

In this diagram, when it says "Remove the cover from the bottom of the steering column", is it actually saying I need to unscew the entire steering column cover off, or just the little "hatch" that's underneath (pictured below)? I assume it's the later.

Attachment 22392

In that case, how would I know which thing inside is the plunger? Is there a particular texture I need to find? I'm worried about screwing up the wiring, airbag, or whatever in there trying to find something I can't see.

I apologize if I can't read the diagram well enough, but it doesn't look "exactly" 100% what I see.

Note - It is an automatic.
This is BS. Picture show jack ****. Where/what do you push. I have a 2006 and the little nipple is very easy to find and press but on the 2008 I'll be damn if I can figure out what anyone is talking about here and I cannot get the steering wheel unlocked for love or money.
Old 10-15-2020, 06:54 AM
Administrator

Same steering column in all years and models of the HHR.

Old 10-15-2020, 07:24 AM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by trasmus
This is BS. Picture show jack ****. Where/what do you push. I have a 2006 and the little nipple is very easy to find and press but on the 2008 I'll be damn if I can figure out what anyone is talking about here and I cannot get the steering wheel unlocked for love or money.
The question is, Why do you need to use the release button ?
If the battery is completely dead, then you can hook up jumper cables to another battery. This will give you power to remove the key.
If that doesn't work, then you should fix the problem. Ignition recall work been done ?