Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

po171 code insight

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2010, 04:43 PM

po171 code insight

Well my wife got a oil change at these fast lube joints and drove away five min down the street and she heard a bomb sound or bucking sound form the floor board and she said the check engine light on and im like wtf ...so i went to autozone got the code read and it said po171 running lean condition well to make a long story short they left the air tube off air filter that goes to the pass fender were it goes in ,causing the lean condition and pop the cel on ,so word of advice make sure they hook everything up that goes to the air box .....
Old 08-07-2010, 08:29 PM

I would never take any of my vehicles to a quick lube place. They can give you a low price because the work is usually done by someone who is being paid minimum wage and knows little about your vehicle. Better to find a local shop and pay a little more to have someone who knows a little more. Even your dealer probably uses minimum wage employees for oil changes.
Old 08-24-2010, 07:30 AM

The last time I went to one of those places I watched the entire process and the kid never checked the air filter. When the car came out I asked if he checked it and he swore up and down that it was fine. I called out the boss, told him the issue and again the kid said he checked it. I told him to show us how it checked it and he had no idea how to remove the air box. Needless to say they didn't charge me for the service.

When I got home I checked the tire pressure because I saw him check the tires. Three of them had 26 to 28 lbs. and one had 50 lbs!!! Stay away from those places.
Old 08-24-2010, 08:58 PM

How can that hose create a lean condiditon? Is there a sensor there I don't know about?
The air box could care less where the air is coming from as long as its there......please correct me if wrong because this is good to know....especially for you CAI guys.....
Old 08-25-2010, 03:48 PM

Well to answer your question the air inlet tube was not tight and the hose that goes to the fender from the airbox was not connected which throws the code and it also effects the transmission shifts to be thrown off...fix all of that and i used a bottle of fuel injector cleaner also ,all is good and was going to bring it to the dealer but i save some money which i had a appointment..he even called me and said where you at ,i told him what happen ,he said yep that would cause it ,im not sure why but that's how i fix it ...
Old 08-25-2010, 11:13 PM

Im thinking the "other " hose come off, between the box and throttle body,,that will definitly throw a code...other wise anybody else who installed a CAI would have the same problem as they don't use that hose anymore,,,,,or the airbox,,,,,, but I see you said the tube was loose AND the fender tube was not connected, that would work... thanks, just wanted to clarify, thought I missed something there, and I did.