Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Pop goes the radio ? ? ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2006, 07:11 AM

I originally started this thread, as was greatly disturbed about the radio popping. After comparing the sound with other reports on this forum and waiting for awhile until the TSB was published, brought my car in for the "pop repair". (This was on May 9, 2006). It was done quickly and there have been no popping sounds since. The dealer must follow the procedure in the TSB and must believe you, as it is almost impossible to duplicate the sound on command.

Mine was really bad, as the buildup was even coming through the turn signals as a loud buzzing sound (with radio off). Then if the radio was turned on, it sounded almost as if a rifle had gone off inside the car. I was seriously considering ear plugs, it was so bad. To this day, still do not understand how such a loud sound could not have damaged the radio speakers (or my ears), but they all seem OK.

This is the ONLY problem that I have had with my HHR, other than a stripped valve stem on a tire (went flat in restaurant parking lot). Thinking back, this was my first flat tire in about 20-25 years. This gave me some experience in how to locate and assemble the HHR jack and how to change a tire, as today we have very few flat tires compared to many years ago. It also showed me how attractive the small donut spare looks on the car.

As a cost-savings, GM might think about using that small donut wheel/tire combination on all of their cars. It would save on the cost of fancy wheels and hubcaps too!
Old 08-14-2006, 11:22 AM

Tsb

Great info....can someone point me in the direction of the latest TSB? I'm taking my HHR in next week and want to get this resolved...I'm glad there may be a solution....Thanks again
Old 08-14-2006, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by brewin65
Great info....can someone point me in the direction of the latest TSB? I'm taking my HHR in next week and want to get this resolved...I'm glad there may be a solution....Thanks again
to chevyhhr.net...the best online forum for anything HHR.

If you're looking for the latest TSB's for the HHR, one of our members, dbarberaz has a sticky at the top of this Problem/Services board and does a great job of keeping us abreast of any new ones.
Old 04-06-2008, 03:46 PM

I'm having this problem with my HHR too. I wanted to bump this up so I can find the info again before I go to the dealer. My printer died so I can't print right now and want to be able to find this again.

So, anyone who had the fix done: Did it work? Did it stay fixed?

I think my speakers may be damaged as all radio stations are staticy now.
Old 04-06-2008, 04:16 PM
Platinum Member

I had it done.....yes it corrected the problem and YES it stayed corrected.

The key is to assure the dealer technician does precisely what the TSB says....no short cuts.

Oh, here's the TSB...TSB #06-08-44-007C, Radio distortion and Pop Noise.
Old 04-06-2008, 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by Snoopy
I had it done.....yes it corrected the problem and YES it stayed corrected.

The key is to assure the dealer technician does precisely what the TSB says....no short cuts.

Oh, here's the TSB...TSB #06-08-44-007C, Radio distortion and Pop Noise.
Since AllData now requires a paid membership so I can't print the actual TSB, do I need to try to track it down elsewhere? Or is it sufficient to just describe the problem and tell them I know it's addressed in TSB #06-08-44-007C, Radio distortion and Pop?
Old 04-06-2008, 11:35 PM

Originally Posted by Violet_HHR
is it sufficient to just describe the problem and tell them I know it's addressed in TSB #06-08-44-007C, Radio distortion and Pop?
IMHO it would be sufficient to tell them that, dealer service centers fear the informed customers. Cant BS, tell them they need bogus services and such. If I remember right, the tsb and problem would get solved by reprograming the radio but as Snoopy said no short cuts.
Old 04-06-2008, 11:50 PM
Platinum Member

I would just inform the Service Writer that you are aware of a TSb to address the poping problem and give him/her the number provided. Also, as I mentioned, indicate the other radio problems and indicate that you are aware of those other TSB's to remedy those problems.. State, NICELY, that you are expecting the reprogramming to be done as instructed in the TSB, because you also know of short cut's that have been taken on other owners vehicles and the problem returned.
Old 04-06-2008, 11:54 PM

Originally Posted by Snoopy
I would just inform the Service Writer that you are aware of a TSb to address the poping problem and give him/her the number provided. Also, as I mentioned, indicate the other radio problems and indicate that you are aware of those other TSB's to remedy those problems.. State, NICELY, that you are expecting the reprogramming to be done as instructed in the TSB, because you also know of short cut's that have been taken on other owners vehicles and the problem returned.
These are the notes I typed out for myself:

The radio "pop" problem is addressed in TSB #06-08-44-007C, Radio distortion and Pop Noise

The audio quality/poor reception on FM band is addressed in TSB #06-08-44-016 or TSB#06-08-44-016B (updated)

Ask that they follow the TSBs to the letter, no short cuts. Note that I have heard of dealers taking short cuts and the the issues returning.

~~~~~~~~~~~
Think that will do it?
Old 04-06-2008, 11:57 PM
Platinum Member

Quick Reply: Pop goes the radio ? ? ?