Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Pop up front when beginning to back up

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2021, 12:19 PM

Pop up front when beginning to back up

I decided to do a complete rebuild of the front end of my '07 HHR. at 160,000+ miles this isn't unusual. New control arms, tie rod ends, steering rack, struts, drive axles, sway bar bushings and links. This was not a difficult job and everything is torqued to spec. Now when I shift from D to R to back into my driveway, I hear a pop in the front end from the driver's side 80% of the time. I have had it on a lift twice, everything is tight and there's no play in anything. The engine mounts and transmission mounts are good, a few have been replaced over the years.
In my opinion, the new steering rack is defective, and I'm wondering how much hassle I will get from NAPA if I try to return it. In case you didn't know, all receipts at NAPA are retrievable based on your phone number, so they have a copy electronically stored. I have an account there, too.
I don't mind replacing the steering rack again, it's not that difficult, and the new one will go in if you loosen the rear engine mount, no need to remove it like videos suggest.
Otherwise the HHR handles quite well, it has been a bullet-proof car for 12 years. The engine and transmission have never had a problem, but recently a lack of power has me thinking that the converter is getting plugged. I'm going to try a few bottles of Cat Clean first. Mileage had dropped 15%, too.
Old 07-18-2021, 12:29 PM
Administrator

That rear transmission mount get properly torqued , when you replaced the steering rack? Was the intermediate steering shaft yoke pinch bolt torqued correctly? When you loosened the rear transmission mount did you support the transmission? Could that clunk be from the centre transmission mount? The one under the fuse box on the driver’s side?
Old 07-18-2021, 12:38 PM

My guess is the strut nut is not tightened far enough.
Old 07-18-2021, 12:41 PM
Administrator

Good point! I just rechecked the Swaybar end links I just installed last weekend, both of the top nuts had worked loose, just enough to make noise, I retorqued them, after a drop of Loctite!
Old 07-19-2021, 01:59 PM

I tightened the read transmission mount, but I'm not going to say I did the proper torque. The intermediate shaft bolt is correct. No, I did not support the transmission because loosening 1 bolt would not allow it to shift. I agree that it could be one of the transmission mounts, it makes the most sense. When replacing everything else the tolerances could have been reduced. I will check the mounts, as shifting into reverse could buck them the opposite direction.
Old 07-19-2021, 03:29 PM
Administrator

A 1/4 inch drop can throw the cv axles askew , you would be surprised!
Old 07-24-2021, 08:55 AM

I think I'm just going to live with it, I've checked everything over and over. As long as it doesn't affect safety or handling I'm OK.
Old 07-25-2021, 09:50 AM

How did you check the engine mounts? Did you look through the hole to the water pump bolt and see if it's sagging? I was surprised by the ride/sound difference after replacing the mounts.
Old 07-25-2021, 10:24 AM
Administrator

The serpentine belt tensioner bolt should be like this in the middle of the slotted hole in the passenger side fender well.
Old 07-25-2021, 05:55 PM

^^ya that's what I ment.. not the water pump bolt!

Quick Reply: Pop up front when beginning to back up