Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

power steering doesn't return to center

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2015, 12:48 PM

power steering doesn't return to center

Hello everyone, I have a 2006, LS, manual trans, 129,000 mile HHR that just recently the power steering has decided not to return to the center by itself, you have to "steer" it back after a turn. It has "power" in all directions as normal but just doesn't center itself. I took it to our local dealer who replaced the power steering motor but they told me that the steering "gear" was bad and needed replacement. My understanding is the steering gear is the "rack"... I've searched all over and cannot find anything that seems to be the same thing, can anyone give me any insight? Is there a way I can check this myself to confirm? Frankly, I do not trust the dealer but that is about my only option for right now. Thanks!
Old 01-08-2015, 02:08 PM
Platinum Member

Not sure exactly what info you are looking for, but if you use our Search window and type in rack and pinion, there are a number of threads.
Old 01-08-2015, 02:14 PM

Thank you... I have searched under many different words and phrases and have not come up with anything that seems to fit but I will try this...
Old 01-08-2015, 03:30 PM
Administrator

The car is 9 years old now so take it to an alignment shop, they will access you steering rack and confirm if the rack is worn out or the inner tie rods are toast.
The power steering assist is for low speed driving and doesn't return the steering wheel to centre, the wheel alignment would have that job
Old 01-09-2015, 01:33 AM
Deceased

Oldblue is correct, the front suspension geometry determines the self centering characteristics built into every motor vehicle. If your wheel doesn't self center after completing a turn, you've got issues with the components that make up the front suspension and steering gear.

Take your HHR to a competent alignment shop or your dealership to have them go over the front end of your HHR.

Besides being annoying, the lack of self centering can be the indicator of seriously and dangerously worn components. If something fails, you will be the first person at the scene of the accident.
Old 01-09-2015, 09:18 AM

Thank you for your thoughts and reply's... I just talked to the dealer again this morning and what they told me was this: if the steering is not returning to center or is sluggish, the first thing they do is replace the steering motor which in this case is not under a recall but was replaced under a warranty of sorts. If that doesn't fix it, then they say it is the steering gear (NOT the rack and pinion). The "fix" according to them is to take the steering apart and replace the gear only, not the whole rack.

I am just looking for thoughts on:
1) if it could only be the gear or could it be the whole rack?
2) Is this a "normal" type of diagnosis (almost seems to be just throwing parts at it)?
3) Is there something "I" can check or do to confirm this? (I've talked to my indy and he is so busy he couldn't look into it until next week, cold Wisconsin winter I suppose)

There is no noise associated with this or even any grinding or "wierd" feeling while steering. It just needs a little "help" getting back to straight after turning a corner.

Any help on a different way to diagnose this or if the dealers way is the correct way would be great.

Thanks!
Old 01-09-2015, 09:28 AM
Administrator

I have always replaced the complete rack assembly, then again it is usually damaged due to a pothole or a slide into a curb that damages the rack.
I would check for free play in the rack, this could also be a worn or damaged intermediate shaft u-joint , and unfortunately I can't check that over the internet.
So, this maybe a pitching (throwing parts at it ) match, I hope not.
Old 01-09-2015, 09:43 AM

Thank you OldBlue. :) I agree that replacing just the gear would maybe not be the correct thing to do. The suspension parts that have been changed withing the last 15,000 miles: struts, sway bar ends, wheel bearings, and something else but I don't remember. I'm not sure what I'm going to do with it. It is barely 0 outside so I know I'm not going to be able to look at it myself. I will probably not drive it until my usual mechanic can get it in next week and look at it. On a good note, I will have to take out my "old Mercedes" from winter sleep, sure miss driving it! ha ha ha Thanks again!
Old 01-09-2015, 03:38 PM

Another question... This all happened "overnight". It was working perfectly when I came home from work then when I left the next day is when the steering started to be like I explained. Is there a sensor or something that could have a went bad? Just trying to figure things out. Thanks
Old 01-09-2015, 03:46 PM

Return to center is controlled by the caster. That is set at the factory and the body must be bent to change it.

There is something causing a drag to prevent it from moving as fast as it should. Could be low tire pressure on the cheap end of the spectrum.

Quick Reply: power steering doesn't return to center