Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Power steering still stiff

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2021, 05:12 AM

Power steering still stiff

I recently purchased a 2011 HHR LT 2.2. I was told the power steering assist motor was out so I bought a new one and replaced it. I noticed the steering is better and more stable but still by no means easy to turn. The previous owner did put in a new intermediate shaft and lower control arms. The steering wheel center is also severely off, center is at about 4 o’clock right now. I was told that having a tech hook up a code reader could fix the power steering issue. Also after having new tires installed the esc keeps randomly activating as I drive. Mostly in turns or if I hit a bump. Another issue I have is that when I start the car the steering wheel spins all the way to the left until it hits the bump stop. When it hits the bump stop I give the wheel a slight nudge and it frees up staying in that fully turned to the left position. I appreciate any direction anyone can give me. Thank you.

Old 09-14-2021, 07:01 AM
Administrator

Welcome, the intermediate steering shaft has to be disconnected at the EPS motor in order to be able to gently centre the steering wheel and the steering rack, then reconnect the shaft to the motor.
Now , please note , do not turn the steering wheel fast as the clock spring maybe damaged. If the steering wheel moves by itself, it’s probably the clock spring is already damaged.
Old 09-14-2021, 08:17 AM

Why did you pay for a new motor? They are under a lifetime extended warranty.

You need a professional alignment shop. The previous guy screwed something up really good. I suspect a pretty bad "accident".
Old 09-14-2021, 09:20 AM

Thanks! I’ll try that when I get home. Any advice on the ESC? The car has a new battery in it.
Old 09-14-2021, 09:22 AM

All of the steering wheel controls and the horn work so I think the clock spring may not be damaged. That’s just from what I’ve read but I could be wrong.
Old 09-14-2021, 09:24 AM

As far as carfax says the car has never been in an accident. I was unaware of the lifetime warranty.
Old 09-14-2021, 10:06 AM

The ESC is related to the steering screw up.
Carfax only reports what insurance pays for. If you DIY and don't make a claim they "don't know nothing".
Old 09-14-2021, 10:55 AM
Administrator

An accident would have bent tie rods to pull the steering wheel out of time like that. I believe you’ll find the intermediate steering shaft was disconnected and the steering wheel was turned but not aligned correctly when it was replaced
Old 09-14-2021, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by Oldblue
An accident would have bent tie rods to pull the steering wheel out of time like that. I believe you’ll find the intermediate steering shaft was disconnected and the steering wheel was turned but not aligned correctly when it was replaced
That is my thought. I’m going to try and redo that process with the proper alignment of the shaft and wheel tonight. Thank you.
Old 09-14-2021, 11:39 AM
Administrator

Be very careful with the clock spring! Move the steering wheel only to centre it up!

Quick Reply: Power steering still stiff