Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Power windows not working - 2006 HHR LS

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2011, 01:18 PM

Power windows not working - 2006 HHR LS

All 4 power windows recently stopped working in my 2006 HHR LS. Actually, every once in a while they will work, but there seems to be no rhyme or reason to it. When they don't work, NONE of the 4 windows work, and there is no motor sound at all. Just dead switches. I replaced the 30A fuse in the floor console fuse box, and that did NOT fix the problem. I took out the plastic piece around the switches (in the center console) and reached up underneath and the wiring feels snug, so I don't think the wires are loose. Since it's not a loose wire and it's not the fuse, is the problem probably the whole switch unit? I can buy a whole new switch unit, but I would hate to buy one if that is not the problem either. I think it may be beyond my skill level at this point, since replacing a fuse is pretty much the extent of what I can do on my own. I was trying to avoid taking it into a shop and paying hundreds of bucks for what I assume is probably a simple fix.
Old 07-21-2011, 01:52 PM
Deceased

Hate to say it, but you need to replace the window switch unit, do a search on e-bay and they go pretty cheaply. The job is something you can do yourself, takes maybe 45 minutes in total and you don't have to pay the dealer through the nose to do it.
Old 07-21-2011, 06:35 PM

I also checked the window buttons on the back doors, and they don't work either. If it was the front console switch unit that is the problem, then wouldn't the buttons on the rear doors work?
Old 07-21-2011, 07:36 PM

The front switch has control of the other switches with the lock out button. so 843 is right you may need the front (master)switch. about the only other thing it could be is a wiring problem. Good luck
Old 08-31-2013, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by edgarfrog
All 4 power windows recently stopped working in my 2006 HHR LS. Actually, every once in a while they will work, but there seems to be no rhyme or reason to it. When they don't work, NONE of the 4 windows work, and there is no motor sound at all. Just dead switches. I replaced the 30A fuse in the floor console fuse box, and that did NOT fix the problem. I took out the plastic piece around the switches (in the center console) and reached up underneath and the wiring feels snug, so I don't think the wires are loose. Since it's not a loose wire and it's not the fuse, is the problem probably the whole switch unit? I can buy a whole new switch unit, but I would hate to buy one if that is not the problem either. I think it may be beyond my skill level at this point, since replacing a fuse is pretty much the extent of what I can do on my own. I was trying to avoid taking it into a shop and paying hundreds of bucks for what I assume is probably a simple fix.
I had the same problem two days ago. Turns out it was just a dead fuse in the front engine adjacent fuse box for the power Windows. Labeled "30A".. easy fix. The fuse was 6 bucks. Save your money and fix it yourself
Old 08-31-2013, 11:59 AM

This is probably a stupid question. You are aware of the window cut out switch, right? The one that makes so the passengers have no control over the windows.

It took me a couple of weeks to notice it.
Old 03-03-2014, 02:26 PM

I am apparently on the a 3rd body control module for this problem! 2 dealerships determined THAT was the problem...and I apparently need a 4th! Any input? Any part numbers available and can a decent mechanic take care of this? It required the "flashing" procedure too...2nd dealer in Washington had to call the first one in Arizona to learn how to procede!! Any help would be appreciated!

Trying to figure out how to ask the 'moderators' for help, but I guess I've gotten stupid in my aging! How do I pose a question for some help?
Old 03-03-2014, 04:08 PM
Platinum Member

I'm assuming the problem you are referring to is that the window switches don't work sometimes? Or do they not work at all? Is it one window, or all windows?

The moderators aren't necessarily involved in replying to replying to queries on problems - we do sometimes, but it's the members that help each other out typically.

How do you pose a question for help - you did, by your post above - but you could have opened your own "thread" (a new posting) giving full details on the year/model and a description of the problem.

Needing 4 bcm's for the same problem does not sound right at all. You are other being scammed, or something else is wrong and it wasn't diagnosed properly - IMO.

After each BCM replacement did the problem clear up totally - and I mean totally, not just intermittently?
Old 03-03-2014, 08:08 PM
Platinum Member

Don't dealers typically give a warranty on their work....typically a year/12,000 miles?

You're in Arizona and I know ALL the GM dealers I use, in Arizona, have a warranty on their out of warranty repair work.
Old 03-05-2014, 08:11 AM

Hey 081AU46,

Sorry to hear you are having this concern. I can certainly reach out to your dealership on your behalf. Please private message me your name, VIN, phone number, and dealership names. I look forward to hearing from you.

Erica Tiffany
Chevrolet Customer Care