Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Rattles

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2009, 08:51 AM
tjm

Rattles

OK I love my car, however, we have had some issues with us that are now getting annoying have taken to dealership and they seem to want to mask it rather than fix it. first one was a rattle in the top of the dashboard near the booster gauge it is very consistant, not too loud but loud enough you hear it. they looked the first time said they could not find anything and put a foam in the dash that you can see, didn't work so i took it back, they claim they took the dash apart and couldn't find anything so they put some more foam in and put a insulation in the door, well that looks horrible everytime you open the door, and still the noise is there. also the little holder for phones or change that is in front of the gear shift below the stereo console is rattling, we told them about this they said it was the stereo console and couldn't do anything but tried double sided tape which also sticks out and white on black like that looks awful. then we have the extremly loud squeaking hatch every time you hit a bump, everytime we take it in we tell them it still squeaks they grease it that helps for a day or two then it starts again. I am concerned they are playing around with these things until the warranty is over so they don't really have to take care of the problem, and it really makes you made when you buy a new car and spend 30,000 plus on it and from day one it makes all these noises and then they feed you full of BS. has anyone had issues like this with thier dealerships and did you find a way to get them to co-operate and fix the problems if so how?
One more thing, my car is the 2008 SS, my husband noticed the other morning when he started it that it puffed out some black smoke, what could this be and should i be trying to get them to look at that?
Old 03-01-2009, 09:11 AM

I wouldn't be concerned with the black smoke..its a turbo car, the tailpipe gets rather sooty,,just the nature of the turbo, a non turbo car exhaust tends to stay hotter so the soot doesn't form whereas the turbo tends to cool the exhaust down before it gets to the cat , plus when the engine cold it has its own way of applying the choke which means more fuel for initial startup.....but if there are other eng/fuel problems, surges, fluctuating rpm's then get it checked out.
Old 03-01-2009, 10:26 AM

Yes all the DI engines will give a little black soot out the tail pipe. Event the 3.6 DI V6 does it in the Camaro and CTS.

This is normal.
Old 03-01-2009, 01:42 PM

I know the black smoke on startup happens with mine too; wouldn't worry about it. I did have a rattle around the stereo console, and nearly got rid of it by removing the console trim, and putting a small amount of felt where the console trim touches the rest of the dash. It still rattles a little but I can deal with it now. To see how to get the trim off, look at the stereo removal post in the DIY section.
Old 04-20-2009, 11:34 PM

Originally Posted by tjm
OK I love my car, however, we have had some issues with us that are now getting annoying have taken to dealership and they seem to want to mask it rather than fix it. first one was a rattle in the top of the dashboard near the booster gauge it is very consistant, not too loud but loud enough you hear it. they looked the first time said they could not find anything and put a foam in the dash that you can see, didn't work so i took it back, they claim they took the dash apart and couldn't find anything so they put some more foam in and put a insulation in the door, well that looks horrible everytime you open the door, and still the noise is there. also the little holder for phones or change that is in front of the gear shift below the stereo console is rattling, we told them about this they said it was the stereo console and couldn't do anything but tried double sided tape which also sticks out and white on black like that looks awful. then we have the extremly loud squeaking hatch every time you hit a bump, everytime we take it in we tell them it still squeaks they grease it that helps for a day or two then it starts again. I am concerned they are playing around with these things until the warranty is over so they don't really have to take care of the problem, and it really makes you made when you buy a new car and spend 30,000 plus on it and from day one it makes all these noises and then they feed you full of BS. has anyone had issues like this with thier dealerships and did you find a way to get them to co-operate and fix the problems if so how?
One more thing, my car is the 2008 SS, my husband noticed the other morning when he started it that it puffed out some black smoke, what could this be and should i be trying to get them to look at that?
I had the same problem with the squeaky hatch going over bumps. They have to adjust the plastic bump stops on the hatch, adjust the lock, and then grease everything up. Had mine fixed over a year ago, and haven't heard a noise since... knock on wood! :)
Old 04-30-2009, 09:32 AM

I've got all kinds of rattles coming from the center of the dashboard area. It is driving me nuts on rough pavement.