Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

RDCLR fried???

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2016, 11:37 AM

RDCLR fried???

I know this has been brought up many times. My FOB's are transmitting signal, they do work, GM has verified that. They tell me that my RCDLR needs to be replaced because it's not receiving the signal. Is this a load of crap, or do they go?

It's a 2008 and am wondering, do I have to remove the entire head liner to replace or will it drop enough at the front that one can squeeze in and out?
Old 03-04-2016, 12:24 PM
Administrator

There's a diagram here to find the module

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/prob...uddenly-47655/
Old 03-04-2016, 12:37 PM

Tell the dealer to look up the TSB that applies to the RCDLR on 2008 models.

If the battery has died for a time the RCLDR stops talking to the BCM and the modules need RELOADING. Possibly needs replacing, you do need to remove the headliner to prevent damaging it.

Here's the Official TSB thread, you'll have to scroll through it. I may be able to find it later today.

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/prob...-thread-23231/
Old 03-04-2016, 12:50 PM

Here it is:#08-03-16-001B

post #55 in the TSB thread.
Old 03-05-2016, 11:35 AM

Wow, very precise. Thank you.

That tsb, will I have an issue presenting it to a dealer in Canada?
Old 03-05-2016, 01:39 PM

Y ou will always have problems presenting TSBs to dealers. They don't like being told what to do by "those internet geeks".

When I took That TSB printed out from GMs official website It was thrown into the trash bin. When I asked the service writer to look it up on his computer his reply was "no, that's not my job." (actual word for word quote). After I made enough literal noise to attract the Service Manager's attention he came out and scanned the document and told the writer that "it says something about updating the computer." Have Joe do it.

Anyway, if you can get someone to admit that TSBs really are valid you may be able to get them to look at it. Remember that it may not apply to your particular circumstance, but replacing the RCDLR also requires re flashing it so that will fix it either way.
Old 03-05-2016, 01:44 PM

Very good. So for sure it's under the headliner on an 08? Just want to be 100% incase worst case I have to take it down.

I did read in another post that a disconnect of the battery "could" reset it. Any conformation on that story?

You've been very helpful.
Old 03-05-2016, 01:56 PM

Even if you do the manual labor, it probably will need to be flashed with new firmware.

AND, yes it is NOT where the service manual says it is. That was another problem I had with my Dealer**** (sp?); they would not listen when I showed them the module, they tore the interior panels out and told me I did not have one, even though in my case the remote door locks did work the TPMS did not.

The guys at my Chevy dealer are flaming idiots, I have learned to go to the Buick dealer instead, they are marginally better, at least they admit that they need to call GM Tech for help.

Whatever those certificates on the wall say very few GM Technicians know how to use a Tech2.
Old 03-05-2016, 02:04 PM

Well the dealer I went to, the service writer was very nice. So I will attempt to return with printed TSB you kindly pointed out. It may take several visits to different dealers. But as you stated, I could try a Buick dealership too.

I'll keep this updated as I work through this.

Thanks again.